Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wifi antenna interference
Lightbulb 
For those users that are not using the WiFi feature it’s of course good to turn this off in the configurator.
But furthermore also removing the antenna from the back of the Devialet - avoiding RFI/EMI.
And in addition using a „plug“ to finally „shut off“ the input. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations for such a plug?
It would be interesting to try if there is any impact at all through the antenna input an easy way to try is to have a mobile phone really close to it and calling said phone. Have no music playing and the volume right up. If there is any effect at all, that kind of test will show it.

As for a plug. Any resistor between the signal and ground wire will do. You could solder one yourself if you pull an antenna apart. They’re a standard item that can be bought at any electronics shop.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
The sound quality really improved after reming the WiFi antenna!
So I am trying to tweak things even more within appropriate noise stopper plug.
(22-Mar-2024, 21:11)Pim Wrote: It would be interesting to try if there is any impact at all through the antenna input  an easy way to try is to have a mobile phone really close to it and calling said phone. Have no music playing and the volume right up. If there is any effect at all, that kind of test will show it.

As for a plug. Any resistor between the signal and ground wire will do. You could solder one yourself if you pull an antenna apart. They’re a standard item that can be bought at any electronics shop.

I just did this test, with the phone held 2-3 centimeters away from the antennas and digital link cables from 4 amplifiers. Absolutely nothing was heard in the speakers, neither with the music stopped nor with the music playing.
When a mobile phone is transmitting (during a conversation), it can emit 2 watts

The regular handshake signal lasts about 3 or 4 seconds and uses 0.6 watts. Handshake discovery usually occurs between 3 and 18 mins, depending in which country it is being used
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
(23-Mar-2024, 10:33)chrisc Wrote: When a mobile phone is transmitting (during a conversation), it can emit 2 watts

The regular handshake signal lasts about 3 or 4 seconds and uses 0.6 watts.  Handshake discovery usually occurs between 3 and 18 mins, depending in which country it is being used

I did the test again, this time with the call on (during a conversation), with both phones next to the 4 Devialet antennas. Then I moved the phones behind the amplifiers, to see if other interferences occur.
The result was the same: absolutely nothing was heard in the speakers.
That proves beyond doubt that the RF rejection or filter circuit is working 100%
               Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Mercury Pi2 & Gentoo,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  ET LF8bs, B&W AS700 sub.  2 x Dachshunds
Well there is generally a lot of noise around like other WiFi networks, radio frequencies etc.
Just comparing using the Devialet with the antenna attached and when removed showed a better sound quality when it was removed.
(24-Mar-2024, 09:19)markush Wrote: Just comparing using the Devialet with the antenna attached and when removed showed a better sound quality when it was removed.

If one of my amplifiers behaved like this, then I would send it to Devialet for repair.
I've learned a lot about 'noise you don't hear' lately. I have made quite a few upgrades to my system in the past year and each had a positive influence. I can't say I ever heard noise or anything else for that matter, but, for instance when I got a power conditioner, when some of that 'noise you don't hear' is removed, the sound stage gets more defined and the highs are easier to listen to.

So I wouldn't completely rubbish the idea that removing the antenna shouldn't make a difference. Of course, some people 'hear and improvement' with every step they take. Placebo is real for sure.

@markush I have a question for you. Does it impact the working of the remote control? I'm sitting quite far away from my amp and if (we don't know) the antenna gets used for the remote, I need it to stay. I'm not home atm, so I can't try it for myself.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.