Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson-Benesch
(01-Sep-2017, 20:09)heihei Wrote: Those Resolutions are currently sitting in my living room 15 mins away......

Hi and welcome! Ooh, you are a tease! Wink

What do you think of the Resolutions?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi Guillaume,
I have to agree with you regarding the overall improvement using sam. I was never that happy with my C60's when I had my near top end Naim gear, the bass was very poor rolling off at about 40hz. I first heard the d800 at HiFi Lounge and decided there and then to chop in the Naim and go to Devialet.
The sound did improve but after bringing my C60's back from Paris after being sam'd the quality and quantity of the bass was superb.
With the 1000pro the C60's really sing.
Cheers,
Bill
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(01-Sep-2017, 21:17)Axel Wrote:
(01-Sep-2017, 20:09)heihei Wrote: Those Resolutions are currently sitting in my living room 15 mins away......

Actually been here a while as I have a D200 as a second system!

I'm liking them! Soundstage is phenomenal, and now we've spent a bit of time tuning the bass to the room the top-to-bottom coherence is very good.
(01-Sep-2017, 22:29)heihei Wrote:
(01-Sep-2017, 21:17)Axel Wrote:

Actually been here a while as I have a D200 as a second system!

I'm liking them! Soundstage is phenomenal, and now we've spent a bit of time tuning the bass to the room the top-to-bottom coherence is very good.
Glad to hear it. So do you think you'll be hanging on to them? Where do they come in the range, is it below the Cardinals? I can't seem to find them on the WB site.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Its below the Cardinal, and priced accordingly too.
(01-Sep-2017, 15:59)GuillaumeB Wrote: Fantastic day with Luke from Wilson Benesch. 

Spent a few hours listening to the A.C.T. One Evolutions after Luke set them up in the room meticulously using lasers and a tape measure. The A.C.T.s were installed using ball tipped spikes on kinematic cups on top of a carbon fibre plate:

Compared to my Sashas the A.C.T.s felt tiny! 

I loaded up the SAM profile for the A.C.T.s and activating SAM made a considerable difference to the sound across the frequency spectrum. I'd say the effect was far greater than on the Sasha. Also I removed the two GIK bass trap units that were positioned on the ground between the speakers. Wow! This really unleashed the bass of the A.C.T.s with no bloat whatsoever. Luke tweaked the toe-in a little and this had quite a big effect too.

The A.C.T.s took a couple of hours to settle. Then there was another wow moment as I realised that everything was snapping into focus. It was during Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit that I realised that I was hearing some of the best midrange ever. Switching to Steven Wilson's new album To the Bone the magic continued, wonderfully expansive midrange with terrific imaging of guitars and vocals. It made me think that perhaps the Wilson-Benesch was the more transparent speaker. As the speakers settled it seemed as though the sound was getting a bit more weight. 

As we were starting to run out of time we swapped the Discovery IIs in. Immediately I could hear that they had a very different presentation and perhaps one I would associate with a smaller speaker. There was far less bass but the bass that I could hear was of great quality and refinement. The top end seemed a little brighter and more strident but I am sure that with more time they would have settled. Overall a very impressive speaker. Luke mentioned that he ran a pair of these with a Torus to great effect. 

At which point we realised we were running out of time and Luke had to think about making tracks. A four hour car journey as it goes.  Sad

So now the good news... there are a demo pair of Resolutions only 15 minutes away! After a couple of phone calls a plan was hatched... I would get to keep the A.C.T.s over the weekend and on Monday these would be swapped out for the Resolutions which I would get to hear for 24 hours or so. How cool is that?! Big Grin Tongue  

Over the weekend I hope to be able to spend a bit more time analysing their sound and will report back in more detail. This was just a quick summary really. 

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Have now managed to finally pick up a WiFi signal in Myanmar! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the W-B ACT 1 Evolution (may have to try them myself when we get home). Speak on our return!

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
Resolutions are brand new - they debuted at Munich this year - hence less info on the website. They sit between Endeavours (stand mount) and Cardinals, but after hearing the Endeavours and speaking to Luke they are voiced quite differently, having much more bass presence. They are a 4-way design, using WB's clever engineering in cabinet / driver design which allows for a very simple cross-over, and isobaric bass units which are good down to at least 30Hz.
The response to shows has been very strong so they've already seen good demand, and are about to embark on further shows plus some reviews, so it looks like being a great product for WB.
(02-Sep-2017, 03:57)brit Wrote:
(01-Sep-2017, 15:59)GuillaumeB Wrote: Fantastic day with Luke from Wilson Benesch. 

Spent a few hours listening to the A.C.T. One Evolutions after Luke set them up in the room meticulously using lasers and a tape measure. The A.C.T.s were installed using ball tipped spikes on kinematic cups on top of a carbon fibre plate:

Compared to my Sashas the A.C.T.s felt tiny! 

I loaded up the SAM profile for the A.C.T.s and activating SAM made a considerable difference to the sound across the frequency spectrum. I'd say the effect was far greater than on the Sasha. Also I removed the two GIK bass trap units that were positioned on the ground between the speakers. Wow! This really unleashed the bass of the A.C.T.s with no bloat whatsoever. Luke tweaked the toe-in a little and this had quite a big effect too.

The A.C.T.s took a couple of hours to settle. Then there was another wow moment as I realised that everything was snapping into focus. It was during Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit that I realised that I was hearing some of the best midrange ever. Switching to Steven Wilson's new album To the Bone the magic continued, wonderfully expansive midrange with terrific imaging of guitars and vocals. It made me think that perhaps the Wilson-Benesch was the more transparent speaker. As the speakers settled it seemed as though the sound was getting a bit more weight. 

As we were starting to run out of time we swapped the Discovery IIs in. Immediately I could hear that they had a very different presentation and perhaps one I would associate with a smaller speaker. There was far less bass but the bass that I could hear was of great quality and refinement. The top end seemed a little brighter and more strident but I am sure that with more time they would have settled. Overall a very impressive speaker. Luke mentioned that he ran a pair of these with a Torus to great effect. 

At which point we realised we were running out of time and Luke had to think about making tracks. A four hour car journey as it goes.  Sad

So now the good news... there are a demo pair of Resolutions only 15 minutes away! After a couple of phone calls a plan was hatched... I would get to keep the A.C.T.s over the weekend and on Monday these would be swapped out for the Resolutions which I would get to hear for 24 hours or so. How cool is that?! Big Grin Tongue  

Over the weekend I hope to be able to spend a bit more time analysing their sound and will report back in more detail. This was just a quick summary really. 

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Have now managed to finally pick up a WiFi signal in Myanmar! Glad to hear that you are enjoying the W-B ACT 1 Evolution (may have to try them myself when we get home). Speak on our return!

David

Wow! Hope you're having a fantastic time David! 

Yes the A.C.T. One Evolution is a great speaker. I'm going to do a little tweaking with their positioning today. They are incredibly sensitive to this, like many other speakers. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I'm interested to know how the A.C.T. One Evolutions were lined up with a laser. Did he use a purpose made cap to fit the top of the speakers with a laser imbedded, or something much simpler?
I'm going to make an add on so that I can line my Olympicas up exactly. I have a powerful rifle scope that I can repurpose for the task.
South Coast England
(02-Sep-2017, 10:53)Axel Wrote: I'm interested to know how the A.C.T. One Evolutions were lined up with a laser. Did he use a purpose made cap to fit the top of the speakers with a laser imbedded, or something much simpler?
I'm going to make an add on so that I can line my Olympicas up exactly. I have a powerful rifle scope that I can repurpose for the task.

Hi Alex, as far as I know it was something simpler although he did take a lot of measurements and the lasers were very effective in lining things up. Sorry I didn't pay much attention to this. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK