Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 tweeks for AIR
Many have reported that Windows 10 works well with AIR.  In my set up, sometimes it works 100% perfectly, but other times I get some rather annoying stuttering, which can be cleared by re-staring AIR.

So hear is my question.  Does anyone have any suggestions for basic optimisation of Windows 10 with a view to improving the stability of AIR?
For me, I'm using AIR 2.1.3 which never has the annoying stuttering. Having JPlay seems to make AIR even more stable, maybe due to JPlay preload the file prior to streaming via AIR.

I have installed Fidelizer 6.12 (Free), too. But, Fidelizer at times will cause AIR to terminate prematurely.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Mine is generally ok, but like you I get stuttering. Very occasionally I get the BSOD afetr about 3 tracks which will happen one evening and then clear up for a month or so and then come back.

I've not had white noise at all since moving to Win 10 and it will now play 24/192 or DSD files ok.

I have Defender disabled, the clear virtual memory on shutdown thing and all live tiles turned off. I too would be interested in something to tweak it a bit further.

cheers

Chris
My NUC does reboot occasionally and the Event Viewer states that there is a reboot due to a bugcheck error. I don't encountered any white noises now when playing with Roon + AIR. All music types are played without problem, and no stuttering. Windows Defender is stopped by Fidelizer and I have the virtual memory turned off, too.

Just updated to Win10 1511, let's see if it helps to prevent rebooting again.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(23-Dec-2015, 10:27)Confused Wrote: Many have reported that Windows 10 works well with AIR.  In my set up, sometimes it works 100% perfectly, but other times I get some rather annoying stuttering, which can be cleared by re-staring AIR.

So hear is my question.  Does anyone have any suggestions for basic optimisation of Windows 10 with a view to improving the stability of AIR?

I think much has to do with resources and the player you use. MusicBee for example produces white noise instantly after skipping a track, with Foobar (WASAPI Event mode) and Windows 10 I haven't heard any faults at all. Very stable.
(23-Dec-2015, 13:13)hk6230 Wrote: My NUC does reboot occasionally and the Event Viewer states that there is a reboot due to a bugcheck error. I don't encountered any white noises now when playing with Roon + AIR. All music types are played without problem, and no stuttering. Windows Defender is stopped by Fidelizer and I have the virtual memory turned off, too.

My computer started to reboot today, yesterday AIR was working fine but today when I have AIR streaming the computer reboots and it shows that some file in AIR is causing it.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(30-Dec-2015, 18:40)octaviars Wrote:
(23-Dec-2015, 13:13)hk6230 Wrote: My NUC does reboot occasionally and the Event Viewer states that there is a reboot due to a bugcheck error. I don't encountered any white noises now when playing with Roon + AIR. All music types are played without problem, and no stuttering. Windows Defender is stopped by Fidelizer and I have the virtual memory turned off, too.

My computer started to reboot today, yesterday AIR was working fine but today when I have AIR streaming the computer reboots and it shows that some file in AIR is causing it.

Same issue on a Windows 10 laptop, spontaneously reboots at time, with a crash on AIR driver. Trying now on a Mac Mini with Boot Camp and Windows 10 to see if more stable.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Yes, Win10 may reboot due to AIR device driver conflict as reported. Try uninstall AIR, clean your registry with CCleaner, reinstall AIR. This method works for me.

May I know if any new program was installed?

So on the Windows 10 laptop I had it updated with all related Windows updates. I then installed RoonServer, Fidelizer and the Devialet AIR driver. Nothing else added. However due to the spontaneous reboots and/or crashes ( several throughout the day ), I decided to install Windows 10 on my Mac Mini using Bootcamp.

Other than 4 hours trying to get screen sharing to work as I run the Mac Mini headless ( solved by using a VGA dongle with resistor in the display port connection on back), this new installation has worked flawless so far, save for one blast of white noise when switching between DSD tracks on a different albums in Roon.

So for now I run Fidelizer and have it invoke RoonServer, then I launch AIR, as I found if I already have AIR running it tends to crash or quit when I run Fiderlizer.

Today this has meant about 8 hours straight of music over AIR ( ethernet connection between Mac Mini and Devialet with Mac Mini also running wireless to get music from the NAS ).

I have tried Roon with Event driven mode disabled and then enabled, the only time I got white noise was when it was enabled, so I have it disabled again. Didn't hear any difference in sound one way or the other.

I have not done too many optimizations to Windows 10 other than turning off Defender and uninstalling a few programs that come with it by default.

I will try Cleaner and see if that makes a difference. If you are running Fiderlizer and Roon and AIR, do you have AIR launch at startup and then run Fidelizer? Or start AIR after running Fidelizer?

Or did you switch to JPLAY?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I leave my NUC on 24/7. When it reboots, RoonServer, JPlay and AIR will auto-start. Fidelizer needs to be started manually as I'm on the FREE version. Sometimes, Fidelizer will kill AIR, then I will restart AIR. My Devialet AIR is set to "Always stream to it automatically."

My Devialet and NUC are both connected wired to the same router. My NAS are stored in other rooms. I control everything from a Win10 Tablet wirelessly.