Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Companion or Without Companion?
Question 
It was my understanding that a "companion" unit is a slimmed down version of the full product meaning that it is missing some hardware, like networking capabilities, etc. It is also my understanding that Devialet no longer sells companion units and if someone wanted to make a single unit a dual-mono unit they would have to purchase another full product (matching unit).

According to Devialet's website, the Expert 210 Pro Dual "combines two Expert 140 Pro units", likewise for the 440 and 1000 each "combines two Expert 220 Pro units" and "combines two Expert 250 Pro units" respectfully.  Does this mean that the second unit in the 210, 440, 1000 kits is a full product or a traditionally slimmed down "companion" product mentioned above?
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
I think it’s just missing the remote nowadays
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I hope that is the case. Is there anyway or anyone that can confirm this?
Identical products in the new Expert Pro series
I own both a 440Pro and a 400, as others have said the 2 x 220Pro units of the 440 are identical and Master / Slave is only governed by which one you configure as the master and which you configure as the slave. The 400 is a different story and the slave is not equal and has a lesser hardware configuration which I noticed when I tried to plug Ethernet into the 400 slave unit. The port is there but the control board is missing so it didn't work, on the 440 I can use either.
Laura, do the units come in individual boxes or together in one box? How are they registered, under a single serial number or under two unique serial numbers? I appreciate the info all, thank you.
(30-Jun-2019, 17:03)RebelMan Wrote: Laura, do the units come in individual boxes or together in one box?  How are they registered, under a single serial number or under two unique serial numbers?  I appreciate the info all, thank you.

They all come in individual boxes, each with their own serial number and each registered by their own serial numbers. If you buy any of the Pro versions it will be a fully functional unit. It's only if you were to buy the older non-pro model that you have to be careful as to which you are buying.
I had the 400 that was sent for upgrades to a 440-Pro CI. I haven't got down to trying the slave unit's inputs as I use RCA-XLR digital LINK. 

Am I to assume that when they upgraded my 400 (200-Master + 200-Companion) to a 440-Pro CI, it became [220-Pro X 2] ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
mine did
Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(30-Jun-2019, 22:17)audio_engr Wrote: I had the 400 that was sent for upgrades to a 440-Pro CI. I haven't got down to trying the slave unit's inputs as I use RCA-XLR digital LINK. 

Am I to assume that when they upgraded my 400 (200-Master + 200-Companion) to a 440-Pro CI, it became [220-Pro X 2] ?

I can think of 2 ways to find out. The simplest is simply to ask Devialet but since they modified their product line and now only make 3 amp models, the 140, 220, and 250 with the 210, 440, and 1000 simply being pairs of those 3 models. It doesn't make sense to think that both amps are anything else but 220 Pros. 

There are 2 ways I can think of testing this hypothesis yourself. One is to swap your config cards between amps so the master becomes the companion and the companion becomes the master. That should work identically to your current arrangement with no differences at all if both are 220 Pros.

The other way is simply to disconnect the link, remove the config card from each amp, and start them up in factory configuration. Then use a long press on the remote tone control button in order to display the second set of info displays and see what the display on each amp reports for each model. Each amp should show as a 220 Pro in factory configuration mode.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia