Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woofers don't move at all when music is playing
Hey guys,

About a week ago I received a single silver Phantom (from Amazon) and as it turned out, the woofers did not move at all when music was playing.  They did move fine during set-up though. 

From everything I've read and seen online, this shouldn't be the case so I returned that speaker and had a replacement shipped.  Today I received my replacement and find the exact same situation.  0 movement in woofers during playback but they move fine during set-up.

I primarily play from computer via optical (done through USB to optical digital converter) but have tried bluetooth as well without luck.  I do wonder if it's something to do with my end since, let's be real, what are the odds of two malfunctioning speakers in a row?

I'm currently awaiting reply from the manufacturer but if anyone has had any similar experiences or advice, I would greatly appreciate them.  Thanks!
I don't have a Phantom, but I would hazard a guess that it is a very strange coincidence if two in a row did not work. I assume you are getting no bass output? And not playing back flute solos?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(06-Feb-2016, 03:12)baddog Wrote: I don't have a Phantom, but I would hazard a guess that it is a very strange coincidence if two in a row did not work. I assume you are getting no bass output? And not playing back flute solos?

The thing is, I am getting bass output.  I don't have a frame of reference for how heavy it should be hitting but it's not too far off from neutral-ish if I had to guess.  

I'm not well-versed in speakers but the bass on this Phantom sounds pretty similarly to my Stax 009 headphones although those aren't known to be bass monsters by any means.

And no, no flute solos haha.
Yeah sorry for the flute solo joke, so even if you turn it up very loud still no woofer movement? I wish I had a Phantom so I could provide you with a frame of reference, perhaps all the forum Phantom owners are out partying tonight?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I live in an apartment complex so I am not at liberty to turn it up too loud. I've gone to about half volume and still 0 woofer movement. I can feel them vibrating to the music though when I put my hands on them.
The woofers are no different from other woofers except that they CAN move much further out IF called for. An easy test would be feeling if there's movement; that will tell you they work. Then the next thing would be playing some really low frequency music. If you have tidal, try Royals by Lorde. If that doesn't make them shake then you probably did get two duds in a row.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
This is good guidance, I think some of the video demos and press about the Phantom tend to exaggerate the actual amount of bass movement normal use will yield.
SXSW, US
Play the James Blake song "limit to your love" on about 60, available on deezer at this link: http://www.deezer.com/album/703955 if that doesn't get them moving you have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(06-Feb-2016, 03:43)Pim van Vliet Wrote: The woofers are no different from other woofers except that they CAN move much further out IF called for. An easy test would be feeling if there's movement; that will tell you they work. Then the next thing would be playing some really low frequency music. If you have tidal, try Royals by Lorde. If that doesn't make them shake then you probably did get two duds in a row.

(06-Feb-2016, 04:02)Adams Wrote: Play the James Blake song "limit to your love" on about 60, available on deezer at this link: http://www.deezer.com/album/703955  if that doesn't get them moving you have a problem.

Thanks a lot for both recommendations guys!  I didn't go above 45 on either song but the woofers definitely did move.  They don't go in and out wildly but there's definitely a good bit of vibration in tune with the beats.  

The vibrations are hardly noticeable at a normal listening level of 35 but they were pretty apparent at 45.  I'm guessing at 60, they would move like what I've seen in Youtube videos.
Try these are volume 60 when you can you will get a surprise