Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would I regret swapping a gold for 2 silvers??
Hello all, I have been lurking for a while but finally joined the crowd and bought a Phantom I in black chrome last week.  I have been doing a lot of listening with Tidal through UPNP and while it is nice, and sound is great, I feel a bit disappointed.  When the volume is over 50, it gets better and better, however listening to music while eating dinner, doing work or hanging out with my wife with volume at 55 or 60 isn't really feasible for too long.  It makes it so you cannot have conversations.  My old stereo system with floor speakers and a sub, etc., sounded great at any volume.  When these are 40 or lower you might as well be using a soundbar or something.  

I did ensure it wasn't in night mode, and have checked all settings.  The room is about 19'x36' long with 18' tall ceilings at the peak.  I know, this is a big space and I have moved it around a bit, with some improvement, but mostly at louder volumes.  I am wondering if I just returned it to Amazon and got two of the silver models instead, would they sound much better in stereo at a volume of 40, but still sound awesome when cranked up.  I am thinking it would be a big improvement just having two of them, because as it is right now I am second-guessing my purchase.  It really doesn't do much of anything in this space below 45, and feels like a waste of money.  I'm not having many opportunities to sit around and listen at 70+ by myself.  The wife and I jammed out the other night with it around 70 for a while and our ears were immediately ringing when we turned it off.

Thoughts?  Anyone who can give feedback based on real-world experience?

Thank you,
Nick
(20-Apr-2021, 02:58)goofynick6 Wrote: Hello all, I have been lurking for a while but finally joined the crowd and bought a Phantom I in black chrome last week.  I have been doing a lot of listening with Tidal through UPNP and while it is nice, and sound is great, I feel a bit disappointed.  When the volume is over 50, it gets better and better, however listening to music while eating dinner, doing work or hanging out with my wife with volume at 55 or 60 isn't really feasible for too long.  It makes it so you cannot have conversations.  My old stereo system with floor speakers and a sub, etc., sounded great at any volume.  When these are 40 or lower you might as well be using a soundbar or something.  

I did ensure it wasn't in night mode, and have checked all settings.  The room is about 19'x36' long with 18' tall ceilings at the peak.  I know, this is a big space and I have moved it around a bit, with some improvement, but mostly at louder volumes.  I am wondering if I just returned it to Amazon and got two of the silver models instead, would they sound much better in stereo at a volume of 40, but still sound awesome when cranked up.  I am thinking it would be a big improvement just having two of them, because as it is right now I am second-guessing my purchase.  It really doesn't do much of anything in this space below 45, and feels like a waste of money.  I'm not having many opportunities to sit around and listen at 70+ by myself.  The wife and I jammed out the other night with it around 70 for a while and our ears were immediately ringing when we turned it off.

Thank you,
Nick

Buy 2, very big difference !
(20-Apr-2021, 07:45)Johnnydev Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 02:58)goofynick6 Wrote: Hello all, I have been lurking for a while but finally joined the crowd and bought a Phantom I in black chrome last week.  I have been doing a lot of listening with Tidal through UPNP and while it is nice, and sound is great, I feel a bit disappointed.  When the volume is over 50, it gets better and better, however listening to music while eating dinner, doing work or hanging out with my wife with volume at 55 or 60 isn't really feasible for too long.  It makes it so you cannot have conversations.  My old stereo system with floor speakers and a sub, etc., sounded great at any volume.  When these are 40 or lower you might as well be using a soundbar or something.  

Thank you,
Nick

Buy 2, very big difference !
I agree. There's a reason we have two ears.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Thank you,
Nick

I am in the same boat as you. I only have one and while the sound is great, I do concede that at lower volumes you could get something cheaper to do the job. That is why I am getting a second one to see if it really makes that much of a difference as everyone says. I admit it is a sh... load of money, but well YOLO. In the review below he says - With one you have the worlds best and most expensive boombox. With two you have one of the best audio systems you can buy today for MUCH less than competing products. I'll report back to tell you if I made the right choice but I doubt the answer will be no Smile.

He also compares Golds to Silvers

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2016/12/0...ir-review/
(20-Apr-2021, 15:35)st33f Wrote:

Thank you,
Nick

I am in the same boat as you. I only have one and while the sound is great, I do concede that at lower volumes you could get something cheaper to do the job. That is why I am getting a second one to see if it really makes that much of a difference as everyone says. I admit it is a sh... load of money, but well YOLO. In the review below he says - With one you have the worlds best and most expensive boombox. With two you have one of the best audio systems you can buy today for MUCH less than competing products. I'll report back to tell you if I made the right choice but I doubt the answer will be no Smile.

Now after reading everyone's posts and that review I am incredibly torn. I absolutely want two now, but I don't know if I should just go ahead with two silvers or add another gold. I obviously know that two gold will sound better than two silvers, but for someone like me I am not sure if the extra $2,000 is worth it... I love the idea of music being very accurate and amazing, but I wonder how different the new models of the phantom are when comparing silver to gold since there have been many updates in the last 5 years when this guy wrote his review.

Decisions, decisions...
(20-Apr-2021, 19:58)goofynick6 Wrote:
(20-Apr-2021, 15:35)st33f Wrote:

Thank you,
Nick

Now after reading everyone's posts and that review I am incredibly torn. I absolutely want two now, but I don't know if I should just go ahead with two silvers or add another gold. I obviously know that two gold will sound better than two silvers, but for someone like me I am not sure if the extra $2,000 is worth it... I love the idea of music being very accurate and amazing, but I wonder how different the new models of the phantom are when comparing silver to gold since there have been many updates in the last 5 years when this guy wrote his review.

Decisions, decisions...

You will regret it, you will alwyas wonder, that's why I am going all in Smile
I was in "luck" when I bought mine back in 2016. My friend had bought silvers, we also have a store close to the office who carries them and had golds put out for demoing. It was a simple choice after listening to them.

That Devialet happened to also have a good offer at the same time? Made it even simpler (two golds, dialog and an Apple TV for 50k SEK, at the time ~$5900 US, including 30% tax).

Now I am thinking of the elevate program. I would like blacks, but I have the tree colored trees, so I will likely go with the matte white finish.
I was in the same boat as you. I bought my first phantom just based on reviews without hearing it. To say I was disappointed when i first heard it was an understatement. I couldn't believe that so many reviewers could be so wrong about it that I went ahead and got a second one. It's a complete night and day difference. And ever since I've been super happy with them. I have the original classic, silver and gold models. There is a difference between the classic/silver and gold. But I found that it is only apparent if you listen to them side by side. For everyday listening my classic and silver models are amazing speakers and we listen to those the most.

Hope this helps.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(20-Apr-2021, 22:07)njaiswal Wrote: I was in the same boat as you.  I bought my first phantom just based on reviews without hearing it.  To say I was disappointed when i first heard it was an understatement.  I couldn't believe that so many reviewers could be so wrong about it that I went ahead and got a second one.  It's a complete night and day difference.  And ever since I've been super happy with them.  I have the original classic, silver and gold models.  There is a difference between the classic/silver and gold.  But I found that it is only apparent if you listen to them side by side.  For everyday listening my classic and silver models are amazing speakers and we listen to those the most.

Hope this helps.

I really appreciate your comments.  You have an amazing collection of them!  They seem like they are similar to how people get one tattoo and then get addicted and get many more.  I could buy 3 silver for the price of 2 gold, so I am still somewhat undecided.  My wife thinks it would be crazy to downgrade to a lesser speaker after hearing this one.  We've never listened to silvers, so hard to say without testing.  I am sure it is just like you say, that the difference is probably noticeable when side by side or for someone who is a total audiophile.  I appreciate the best quality sound possible, but I can't say for sure I would notice the difference in the same way.  One review says it is an incredible difference, others say only at very high volumes.  I keep going back and forth.  I am terrible when it comes to having choices, sometimes less variety is easier and you worry less about making the right purchase.

Nick
Hello there,
Maybe there is a another cheaper option(kef ls50 wireless with a nice sub)wich is even more hifi.. this is what i have and what i am testing:

i traded the reactors 900 for the kefs lw50 wireless(version 1)

And i have the two phantom golds now.
The golds are better then the reactors 900 indeed,its a more defined sound and a better and fuller sound(less boxy)

But the kefs are also realy realy good,ofcourse less bass but the sound is maybe even more refined and more hifi then the golds..But it needs a sub.. i do some more listening tests when i have the time.. And then i decide which one i keep at home..