Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are you using SAM with your D400?
Are you using SAM with your D400?

If so, what are your speakers?

Most importantly, did you make changes to the configuration file, regarding SAM
and the bass tone point, etc?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(28-Apr-2015, 05:26)miro Wrote: Are you using SAM with your D400?

Hi Miro,

Yes I am using SAM with my D400. SAM applied to my Wilson-Benesch ACT 1s

Only changes to Configuration was to change Tone button on Remote to SAM On/Off.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(28-Apr-2015, 12:24)brit Wrote:

Hi Miro,

Only changes to Configuration was to change Tone button on Remote to SAM On/Off.

David

David,

Are you getting an improvement with SAM?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(28-Apr-2015, 14:58)miro Wrote:
(28-Apr-2015, 12:24)brit Wrote:

Hi Miro,

David

David,

Are you getting an improvement with SAM?

Yes there is a definite improvement in bass - not necessarily in quality of bass which, IMO was already good, but in how much deeper it goes. There is much better definition across the whole frequency range, and everything seems to snap more into focus. The ACT 1 is already a good loud-speaker, so the SAM effect is perhaps not as significant as in a smaller speaker - with the ACT 1 it is not a "road to Damascus" experience, but a more subtle change, albeit a worthwhile change.

While my speakers were away in Paris being SAM profiled, I used a pair of much smaller B&W CM1s, which already had a SAM profile, and the difference SAM made to them was much greater than with the much larger Wilson-Benesch.

David
Yes I use SAM on D400 with my Apertura Onira. When they were samed I noticed a clear step up ! and I can tell you that recently by mistake (my kid or me) Sam had been switched off and I felt the music was not as good as usually. I checked and put SAM On again.
The only question I have is about the 100%. I am. But I did not try a 50% sam for instance.
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(12-Jun-2015, 20:33)jfp Wrote: Yes I use SAM on D400 with my Apertura Onira. When they were samed I noticed a clear step up ! and I can tell you that recently by mistake (my kid or me) Sam had been switched off and I felt the music was not as good as usually. I checked and put SAM On again.
The only question I have is about the 100%. I am. But I did not try a 50% sam for instance.

The % represents how much low end extension SAM gives you.  0% mean no bass extension just phase alignment, your speakers are theoretically producing the frequency response on the manufacturer's spec sheet.  100% is maximum extension your speakers are capable of, the number Devialet advertises with each SAM profile.

Rooms setup might now allow you to go crazy with % without getting major room interaction.  Larger speaker might need little to no extension.  Each situation is different.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

interesting Dr Tone, I did not know all this.
My Onira are large speakers and my room is 50M2 square. What is rooms setup ?
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
Not at the moment as my Montis are not compatible. I have Sasha 2's on order which are compatible to try SAM with and if I'm not happy with the results, will look into alternative amplifiers. They should be here within a few weeks (when I've finished paying for them!)
I have set the tone controls at 30 hz and 8000 hz based on measurements done in an Australian review of my Jamo R909s.  In my room I set the bass to +3db and the treble to +1.5 db with SAM on 100%.  I am using FW 7.1.3 with the following configuration settings:  Subsonic filter off; SP/DIF to AES/EBU link on; digital 2 on; all other inputs off.

I think it sounds very good and I am no bass freak, although with the dual 15" woofers, on the Jamos one could easily go freaky.   Big Grin

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
(13-Jun-2015, 09:58)jfp Wrote: interesting Dr Tone, I did not know all this.
My Onira are large speakers and my room is 50M2 square. What is rooms setup ?

By room set up: Bass traps yes or no.  How close or far the speakers are from the walls that can can boom. etc etc

There are sooooo many variables.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2