Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro)
Dear <Confused> and <mdconnelly>,

Thank you both! I'm truly appreciative of your expertise, and of your generosity in sharing it.

There is no Devialet AIR driver/app for MacOS post Catalina, alas (and I'm Big Sur). So that option is out.

I suspect there are multiple advantages in getting a Roon Nucleus+, both in terms of sound quality and in the ability to stream Tidal (or other hi-res). My main objection to that is the hideously low revenue that artists/performers/composers get from streamed music. But that's not a tech question Wink

I'll circle back with more newbie/clue-impaired questions when I get to them. THanks!
(18-Apr-2021, 15:49)howardrodman Wrote: I suspect there are multiple advantages in getting a Roon Nucleus+, both in terms of sound quality and in the ability to stream Tidal (or other hi-res).

Although I now use a 440-Pro CI that was earlier a 400, 3 yrs back I invested in a Nucleus+ & have never looked back. The Nucleus+ does respond very favorably to well designed Linear Power supplies and adding etherREGEN was an extra ++. If you opt for this path, you won't regret it.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(18-Apr-2021, 15:49)howardrodman Wrote: Dear <Confused> and <mdconnelly>,

Thank you both!  I'm truly appreciative of your expertise, and of your generosity in sharing it.

There is no Devialet AIR driver/app for MacOS post Catalina, alas (and I'm Big Sur).  So that option is out.

I suspect there are multiple advantages in getting a Roon Nucleus+, both in terms of sound quality and in the ability to stream Tidal (or other hi-res).  My main objection to that is the hideously low revenue that artists/performers/composers get from streamed music.  But that's not a tech question Wink

I'll circle back with more newbie/clue-impaired questions when I get to them.  THanks!

The Nucleus+ no doubt makes for an awesome Roon server, but I have to say that you can save a lot by going the Intel NUC route.  There are plenty of detailed instructions in the Roon knowledgebase that makes it quite easy to setup a NUC.  I switched from using a Win10 PC to a NUC about 5 months ago and it is rock solid and just takes care of itself.  I agree with you about the streaming services not optimally supporting artists.   Personally, I have a large and growing library of music coupled with using Qobuz as a means for discovering new music - a great combination with Roon.  If you find yourself still buying a good bit of music, Qobuz makes that quite easy to do  - particularly if using a Qobuz Sublime subscription.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
If you have a general purpose computer around, you can run Roon Server on it. That isn’t so taxing for the system. I have mine running on a Mac Mini 2018 that sits in my study. It is Ethernet wired to a Raspberry Pi 4B running VitOS (http://www.thunder-data.com/vitos-for-rpi4) as endpoint, which in turn is USB-connected to my Expert 120. No need for trying to run Air on your computer. Sweet sound you achieve this way. And dirt cheap as well!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I haven't tried Nucleus, but (from what I've seen so far) I think it's too expensive for what it offers.
From what I've tried so far, here are the options, in order of preference:
- NUC fanless + AudioLinux + Roon Core
- NUC fanless + Roon ROCK
- PC + Ronn Core + Fidelizer
In all cases, additional linear power suply for NUC and Ethernet isolation (EtherRegen).
My 2 cents:

Get a fanless NUC with ROCK.

Nucleus is just a fancy version of a fanless NUC in a somewhat nicer case and with a significant markup.

I would caution against Audiolinux in this use case (search for Audiolinux in the Roon support forum to read some of the challenges experienced).

I am on my second fanless NUC (went from a core i5 / 16GB ram / 120 GB SSD to a core i7 / 16gb Ram / 250 GB ssd) and both have worked flawlessly, for 1/3 of the price of the equivalent Nucleus config.
System: Roon on NUC, music library on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. Thorens TD-160 super (revised and restored) with SME 3009-III, Devialet Expert pro 440 CI, Marten Django XL
Wink 
Another 2 cents:

- ripped any disc to a lossless format for HDD storage (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, also DSD part of SACD)
- chose a decent Android media player with support for a built-in HDD (in my case Himedia Q10 pro)
- connected to D200 via USB
- chose UAPP = USB Audio Player Pro as playback app for the Android media player
- am (quite) happy now

USB Audio Player PRO homepage

Advantages:
- Android devices are very versatile
- Q10 pro: no extra monitor/TV necessary (remote app for mobile/tablet/... instead)
- Q10 pro: you can deactivate the fan, if you want to
- Q10 pro: case and support for NTFS formatted multi terabyte HDD
- UAPP will tunnel Android OS stacks for USB => bit accurate streaming to D200
- UAPP plays gapless (even DSD image/DSF)
- UAPP offers DoP (DSD over PCM), the DSD format expected by D200
- UAPP also offers Tidal, MQA support etc.
- UAPP is quite cheap and can also be used e.g. on your mobile

Disadvanteges:
- Update support for Android boxes is limited (Q10 pro: still Android 7)
- UAPP: the box has to be online
- UAPP: no Spotify connect (i.e. the box will play Spotify via USB, but not bit-accurate)

Imho, bit-accuracy made the day here.
You can also try to use a linear power supply for the Android box instead of the cheap std power source.
But, the std box and a reasonable USB printer cable will do imho.
This is my first post as I only heard about the Devialet Expert 120 yesterday and bought it! It’s on the way so I’m just trying to figure out the easiest way to hook it up to Roon. This is a great thread.

I just registered on the Devialet website and found out that they have updated the driver for Mac OS to the latest Monterey!!! I bought this system to hang on the wall next to my TV and push my Klipsch Heresey IV’s. I want to keep it as clean as possible.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

“It’s about the journey, not the destination…”
Devialet Expert 120 & Klipsch Heresey IV’s
Congratulations and welcome! The D120 is really an outstanding amplifier, even some years after its introduction. I had one as well; I remember the experience of hearing it for the first time, as well as on many subsequent visits. It took me about six months to work up the courage to buy it. It seemed a stunning amount of money, but I have not regretted it once, or the 220 Pro CI upgrade. That said, a used D120 now is probably a better deal than it was seven years ago. Any competition you may find is, IMHO, the result of others following the lead of Devialet.

I'm not a ROON user, but there are many here who are, and I'm confident you'll get all the help you need. Lots of threads here to dig through as well.

Don't worry about the 'endless' future upgrades, or get too distracted by the quirks of the amp (or more realistically, the slightly comical software system). Do be patient if you can! Sonically these amps are really in the top 10 percent of electronics and absolutely worth the money, occasional frustrations and occasional brain-bending trials.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada