Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long for buffer?
The buffer default for AIR is 2 seconds. I can understand the need for a generous buffer for WiFi connections, which can have drop outs, but shouldn't a shorter buffer time work just fine for Ethernet? I have been using 1 second without difficulty, but am wondering whether anyone is using a shorter buffer delay. It can be a bit annoying to have to wait for "next track" or "pause" on iTunes to take effect.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
I used 100 msec with version 5 of the firmware with no problem. I don't skip tracks often so I have left the default since firmware updates, though I thought it was still 1 second (I have not looked though)
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I'm using 500ms and still experience a drop out (music completely stops) after 2-3 hours of playback. Using Ethernet through my network. Router is an ASUS RT-N66U. Music files were 24/96 flac. Setting the buffer higher seems to eliminate the problem but the delay definitely hampers the listening experience.
I'm going back to USB for now.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
My buffer is set to 100ms nowadays using AIR ethernet. It was set to 500 when I was still using AIR WiFi (also using an ASUS RT-N66U). @pete86, I'd switch to ethernet AIR instead of USB (or at least compare the two). I often read it is the better sounding 'input'.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(17-Jun-2014, 20:48)Antoine Wrote: My buffer is set to 100ms nowadays using AIR ethernet. It was set to 500 when I was still using AIR WiFi (also using an ASUS RT-N66U). @pete86, I'd switch to ethernet AIR instead of USB (or at least compare the two). I often read it is the better sounding 'input'.
I've been using the Air ethernet before with 100 ms buffer.
In comparison to a standard usb port the ethernet connection will sound better.
Once you change the usb connection and it's powersupply the usb is clearly the better connection and this by a significant margin.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
(17-Jun-2014, 20:48)Antoine Wrote: My buffer is set to 100ms nowadays using AIR ethernet. It was set to 500 when I was still using AIR WiFi (also using an ASUS RT-N66U). @pete86, I'd switch to ethernet AIR instead of USB (or at least compare the two). I often read it is the better sounding 'input'.

I'm still getting drop outs here and there, on AIR Ethernet, at various buffer settings, using the latest firmware and AIR software on Windows 8.1 Professional. No gain in sound quality is worth that trouble. Maybe I'll try a direct Ethernet connection one day, but my current music server doesn't have WiFi, so there would be no way for me to use JRemote. I'll stick to USB for now.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(25-Jun-2014, 23:27)pete86 Wrote:

I'm still getting drop outs here and there, on AIR Ethernet, at various buffer settings, using the latest firmware and AIR software on Windows 8.1 Professional. No gain in sound quality is worth that trouble. Maybe I'll try a direct Ethernet connection one day, but my current music server doesn't have WiFi, so there would be no way for me to use JRemote. I'll stick to USB for now.

I have no WIFI card or antenna in my server either.
I read that WIFI is best avoided in any music server configuration due to the extra noise it generates in the system.
I solved this by using a router with wifi in my network.
This way I have the possibility to use the ethernet connection of my music server and connect Gizmo (the Android version of Jremote) through the router without compromising the output quality of my music server.
I had no problem finding the server and enabling remote controle for Jriver.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
(26-Jun-2014, 11:10)Hermanh Wrote: I have no WIFI card or antenna in my server either.
I read that WIFI is best avoided in any music server configuration due to the extra noise it generates in the system.
I solved this by using a router with wifi in my network.
This way I have the possibility to use the ethernet connection of my music server and connect Gizmo (the Android version of Jremote) through the router without compromising the output quality of my music server.
I had no problem finding the server and enabling remote controle for Jriver.

Yeah, this is how I have it set up, but I am getting drop-outs once in a while. I was considering trying to directly connect the PC to the Devialet via Ethernet, avoiding the Router altogether, as described here: http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-co...rnet-Cable

However, I believe this means both the Devialet and the PC will not be on my network and I won't be able to use JRemote, or the Devialet iOS remote.
I have my Devialet connected directly to my iMac via ethernet. Both are also still on my wireless network, and I am able to use the Devialet iOS remote.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
One point to note, if you run the buffer over 2000ms, AIR cuts out after about 5 secound if you stream 24 / 196 files. I think something, somewhere, runs out of memory. Also, longer buffers are just a little bit anoying, and I am not aware of any firm evidence that they improve sound quality at all. So if everthing is stable, keep it low!