Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Legacy System Extension - Devialet Air
Hi All,

Just updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and got a message indicating Devialet AIR client will be incompatible with future version of macOS.
Did anyone reported to Devialet support?  Not sure what is the future for Devialet Expert user.

Attached the screenshot.

Kai

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
Anybody got feedback on this from Devialet? This is urgent as many Update their macOS.
When I saw that I just put back the Ethernet cable
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
I'm not remotely qualified to discuss software issues, but I was involved in advising a developer for a CADD software program. I only want to pitch in and say that the Catalina OS software is probably a significant change from Mojave, and that there are many, many things in an OS that can play havoc with other applications. I observed that Apple keeps all sorts of things secret for a long time (as Microsoft probably does as well) and that it can take real time and effort to update independent apps to work with the new OS.

I believe that there was information around that noted that AIR is not compatible with Catalina, but I can't remember where I saw that posted.

I'm not defending Devialet but I am saying that in this case, D. AIR may need time to be made compatible; it is not always a simple thing to do. And I've been having more problems with AIR on my OS Mojave iMacs than I did in the past, and I can't get Airplay to work anymore. So in this case, I'm having issues as well.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Given the two companies involved I wouldn't hold your breath. Holding off on upgrades might be a better bet.

Devialet is really bad at software development, as evidenced by lack of progress fixing longstanding bugs not to mention broken promises of new features. However Apple is not helping their developers, such as Devialet.

Apple hasn't even gotten around to documenting their new file system (APFS) four years after releasing it. Apple is getting really bad at documenting changes on either professional or consumer level. Every updates just "improves the stability, reliability, and security". That said, they're also getting much worse at making changes without adding bugs, so there's plenty of opportunity to improve process at both companies.

Both companies make wonderful products, the best in their categories, that I enjoy using. I do wish they'd get on the ball though. I've been unable to buy new Apple hardware for years because of defective design (butterfly keyboard) or because it would break my workflow, which relies on third-party developers (such as Devialet), who rely upon Apple to provide necessary information. Apple has more money than they know what to do with. I wish they'd hire some adult supervision, or whatever would improve their process. Apple used to pay for the developers at Intuit to make Quicken for the Mac. Maybe Apple could pay for a few good software folks at Devialet.
The Apple Developers Program gets you more information from Apple, but that's insufficient for many purposes, so companies like Alsoft are left unable to complete their updates.

I was joking about Apple paying Devialet, but I do seriously hope that both companies improve their development.

New firmware from Devialet is under beta testing, but it doesn't fix many known bugs, fix the broken promises of new features, nor is there any reliable development-cycle timeline from Devialet. I've not heard of any updates to AIR.

The upshot is that the only way to keep AIR working is to avoid upgrading Mac OS at the moment.
I have reported to Devialet with case #226679
Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
Photo 
[attachment=3989 Wrote:             We Melville pid='91516' dateline='1585078117']Hi All,

Just updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.4 and got a message indicating Devialet AIR client will be incompatible with future version of macOS.
Did anyone reported to Devialet support?  Not sure what is the future for Devialet Expert user.

Attached the screenshot.

Kai
Hi Kai,

I contacted Devialet on this very matter, it’s clear they don’t give a monkeys’s about it’s customers and after care, they’ve had over 18 months to deal with this and done absolutely nothing. Customer aftercare is clearly not in there agenda, they just want to push out the phantom products and leave existing customers to rot. 

the lesson learned is, don’t rely on expensive equipment that relies on the software, because you could spend a ton of money and then after a few years it’s no longer fit for purpose.

Here is the response I’ve had from Devialet.

Many thanks for reaching out. 

At this stage, Devialet Air is not compatible with Catalina. We apologize as we are unable to provide an availability date for a compatible version. 

In the meantime, please use AirPlay as the virtual soundcard is mandatory or UPnP/Roon Raat for file streaming. 

USB is also an excellent and recommended alternative.

Please let us know your thoughts. 

Thank you for your understanding and for your support of Devialet's products. 

Have a beautiful week ahead. CheersSmile
Shanna | Customer service & support Devialet”
"Ambassadors"? Oh please god, no.
Just had another mail from Devialet, now they are saying it’s Apples Fault, this is shabby behaviour, they’ve had over 18 months to solve this problem, other companies have, there is no excuse.

This is There response:

“ Many thanks for your reply.

We seek your understanding in this issue.
Devialet management is aware of this missing Catalina driver. We are working towards it.

Please also kindly note that Apple too, is responsible for not offering a legacy 32bits application mode.

In the meantime we do suggest:
- USB, if virtual soundcard is required
- AirPlay, with lower quality than USB
- UPnP, if file streaming is the sole requirement
- Roon, for file streaming

Thank you for your understanding. Please let us know your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Shanna | Customer service & support Devialet”