Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my system
Hi team,

I'll add pictures later, but I thought I would do a little write up about the evolution of my system.

It all started in 2010 I believe when I purchased a Devialet D-Premier, one of the first 100 sold worldwide. At the time my source was a Mac mini outputting through firewire to a Weiss Int202 and then XLR digital in. The speakers were a pair of B&W 804s that I heard sound good for the first time.

A year later I replaced the B&W by a pair of Wilson Benesch Vectors and my system pretty much stayed the same for the next 8 years. I stayed up to date on Devialet with an upgrade to 240 first, and then to 250 Pro CI when it became available.

Other than that, the only noticeable changes were the replacement of my Viard Audio speaker cable by Chord Sarum T in 2017 or 2018, the replacement of my stock power cable by a Shunyata Sigma NR and the replacement of Audirvana by Roon together with a new Mac Mini modified by Mojo audio with their great Illuminati V2 power supply. I also switched to wired ethernet pretty much in the same time frame.

Things were sounding good and I was at peace till an early day of 2020 when I came across a pair of Wilson Benesch ACT One Evolution P1 speakers at a really incredibly low price point in Tokyo where the brand is pretty much unknown. I purchased the speakers, really loved what I heard and decided it was time to go from very good to great.

I started to look for a second D250 and quickly found one here on Devialetchat and here I am with a D1000 Pro CI sounding even better.

After a few weeks wondering about companion temperature and understanding that a stereo trigger cable was needed between the 2 units, after finding a like new Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA digital link cable I thougth I was all set...

Then I researched the drop outs sometimes occurring even with Roon Air... and I replaced my aging stock Netgear router by a brand new Melco S100 equipped with audio optimized 100 Mb/s ports that were supposed to by-pass the issue with drop outs. i think the sound got even a bit better, but it may be my imagination speaking. Overall, it has been a good experience with fewer drop outs that tend to only occur after I change some network cables,... leading me to think that I probably need to reboot the Melco to clear its buffer each time I change something in the network. Still investigating this one.

Time for a break? Well... not quite. How about the possibility that the network cable from my home 10GBe netgear switch to the Melco may introduce some electric noise in this finely optimized system?... Worrying thought that could trouble my otherwise sound sleep. A bit more research taught me that some people add fiber optics stretches to electrically isolate the hifi section of their network from the rest... Why not? Amazon came to the rescue and allowed me to acquire a cheap RJ45 to SPF LC optical converter from 10GTek as well as a short optical cable and a tranceiver for the SPF port of the Melco S100. I installed this between the wall and the Melco in a few minutes and things work surprisingly well.

Has it made a difference? Really not sure but boy... do I sleep even better. :-)

Done for good? Well... I now have a plan to replace my aging Mojo Mac mini by the next gen Deja Vu server Mojo is currently finalizing. It promises to be one of of the most optimized music server ever designed with a remarkable degree of interference isolation and super optimized sub-systems tuned for Roon ethernet replay... a Roon Nucleus on steroids if you will. More to come in a few weeks/months...

Wouldn't it be amazing if Devialet came up with a magical firmware/DOS upgrade that fixes the outstanding issues and further improves the sound of these great units?

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Pictures please.
It is an enjoyable thing this journey.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
(13-May-2020, 10:08)bernardl Wrote: Hi team,

I'll add pictures later, but I thought I would do a little write up about the evolution of my system.

It all started in 2010 I believe when I purchased a Devialet D-Premier, one of the first 100 sold worldwide. At the time my source was a Mac mini outputting through firewire to a Weiss Int202 and then XLR digital in. The speakers were a pair of B&W 804s that I heard sound good for the first time.

A year later I replaced the B&W by a pair of Wilson Benesch Vectors and my system pretty much stayed the same for the next 8 years. I stayed up to date on Devialet with an upgrade to 240 first, and then to 250 Pro CI when it became available.

Other than that, the only noticeable changes were the replacement of my Viard Audio speaker cable by Chord Sarum T in 2017 or 2018, the replacement of my stock power cable by a Shunyata Sigma NR and the replacement of Audirvana by Roon together with a new Mac Mini modified by Mojo audio with their great Illuminati V2 power supply. I also switched to wired ethernet pretty much in the same time frame.

Things were sounding good and I was at peace till an early day of 2020 when I came across a pair of Wilson Benesch ACT One Evolution P1 speakers at a really incredibly low price point in Tokyo where the brand is pretty much unknown. I purchased the speakers, really loved what I heard and decided it was time to go from very good to great.

I started to look for a second D250 and quickly found one here on Devialetchat and here I am with a D1000 Pro CI sounding even better.

After a few weeks wondering about companion temperature and understanding that a stereo trigger cable was needed between the 2 units, after finding a like new Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA digital link cable I thougth I was all set...

Then I researched the drop outs sometimes occurring even with Roon Air... and I replaced my aging stock Netgear router by a brand new Melco S100 equipped with audio optimized 100 Mb/s ports that were supposed to by-pass the issue with drop outs. i think the sound got even a bit better, but it may be my imagination speaking. Overall, it has been a good experience with fewer drop outs that tend to only occur after I change some network cables,... leading me to think that I probably need to reboot the Melco to clear its buffer each time I change something in the network. Still investigating this one.

Time for a break? Well... not quite. How about the possibility that the network cable from my home 10GBe netgear switch to the Melco may introduce some electric noise in this finely optimized system?... Worrying thought that could trouble my otherwise sound sleep. A bit more research taught me that some people add fiber optics stretches to electrically isolate the hifi section of their network from the rest... Why not? Amazon came to the rescue and allowed me to acquire a cheap RJ45 to SPF LC optical converter from 10GTek as well as a short optical cable and a tranceiver for the SPF port of the Melco S100. I installed this between the wall and the Melco in a few minutes and things work surprisingly well.

Has it made a difference? Really not sure but boy... do I sleep even better. :-)

Done for good? Well... I now have a plan to replace my aging Mojo Mac mini by the next gen Deja Vu server Mojo is currently finalizing. It promises to be one of of the most optimized music server ever designed with a remarkable degree of interference isolation and super optimized sub-systems tuned for Roon ethernet replay... a Roon Nucleus on steroids if you will. More to come in a few weeks/months...

Wouldn't it be amazing if Devialet came up with a magical firmware/DOS upgrade that fixes the outstanding issues and further improves the sound of these great units?

Cheers,
Bernard

Very nice story.

However ... I own two 2018 Mac Mini, for normal desktop computing. I took one apart the other day to do a RAM upgrade, very simple even for a non-electronics person like me, took 15 minutes. At the end of the day it has one power connector on the board and has a huge fan attached to the top of the board. There is no mechanical isolation and it still gets hot. There are a lot of I/O connectors miles away from the power supply. Under the base plate is a massive antenna.

If you look at something like the Innuos Zenith Mk3, it has a smaller (but sufficient for Roon) processor with a heatsink rather than a fan and three separate linear power supplies going to the board and critical components, including the usb output. There is mechanical isolation inside and in the design of the thee symmetric and damped feet. There are many other optimised features, many in common with the Roon Nucleus.

I use an Innous, but I have used a couple of other brands over the last 12 years as well. All I'm saying is that the Mac mini, a product I use and like, really does not seem to me to be in the audio server game any more. What's more, there are several better and cheaper products, including the Innuos units. 

Personally I also thought the lack of a decent Devialet app was a real issue and there were many promises made and broken. When it went Roon Ready I bought my Roon server and the need for a Devialet app became redundant. 

I would love to upgrade my 250 CI to a 1000, as you have done, wife does not permit!

Mac mini 2018 board, power connector is bottom right.

I think this is the Zenith Mk3. 3 internal power supplies.

250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
Hum... there have been a couple of additional changes these past months courtesy of the semi/confinement I guess (something has to be blamed):
- replacement of the PS10 by a Shunyata Everest and matching Omega cable
- addition of some Gik Acoustics room conditioning panels
- replacement of the Melco by an EtheRegen fed by an Uptone LPS, grounded and clocked by a Cybershaft OP21A-D. The Ethernet cable from EtheRegen to Devialet is now a Shunyata Omega
- addition of set of Townshend pods to isolate the rack vibrationwise

And yes, it’s even better. Pretty breathtaking I have to say.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Wel... after additional listening... I am back to a Melco (now S10) and it does sound even better I believe. Wink

Cheers,
Bernard
Hi Bernard:
How do you like your Townshend pods? I'm little afraid to try them because I think they can topple the speakers. I have tried GAIA-1 under my speakers and they failed the tap/stomp test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPXJDdwtk4&t=69s).
Is there a clear difference in sound quality between with and without the platform?
Cheers...
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
Hi Sam1000,

As of now I have one deployed them under my rack. Frankly it’s hard to say whether they have made a difference.

I have bought the platform for speakers but have not yet arranged the logistics of having the speakers moved on top of them. I would expect these to make more of a difference but can’t say yet.

Cheers,
Bernard
(15-Sep-2020, 03:07)sam1000 Wrote: Hi Bernard:
How do you like your Townshend pods? I'm little afraid to try them because I think they can topple  the speakers. I have tried GAIA-1 under my speakers and they failed the tap/stomp test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPXJDdwtk4&t=69s).
Is there a clear difference in sound quality between with and without the platform?
Cheers...

@sam1000

I used to be a owner of the Townshend Seismic Isolation Bars for Speakers that you can also see in the video you have posted. I bought them after Munich 2015 where I met Mr. Townshend.
Did they improve the sound? Do expensive network switches or cables improve the sound? I think the answer for me is too subjective so I prefer not to answer.
They looked very cool and I was very happy with them; that was more than enough to justify the purchase.

Now I totally see your point when you wrote "I think they can topple  the speakers"
I used to have Wilson Benesch Vertex speakers where the stand was relatively wide (and heavy lowering the center of gravity) versus the speaker itself so it was stable; I could move the speakers right and left without any fear.
My current speakers are more classical floor standing speaker 23x28x115. I did not feel comfortable to move right and left the speakers; on top of that when you have young kids around you do not want to take that kind of risk so I sold them.

Seismic Isolation Podium like @bernardl  looks more stable then the bars I had but I cannot comment on those as I never tried them. @bernardl has 23x40x119 50 kgs floor standing speakers so once he puts them into "production" we will get some information about how stable he feels.

I think the best is to try with equivalent speakers in term of shape/weight.
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
A couple of recent updates:
- the Townshend platforms are now in place for a month or so under the Wilson Benesch speakers
- I have added a second Shunyata Omega Ethernet cable going from source to the Melco S10 (now sitting on top of Stillpoints). Shunyata is getting things very very right these days
- I have replaced my Mac mini by a highly optimized Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO running RAAT which I believe is one of the first 3 units produced by Benjamin. This thing rocks. When I thought the sound was damn good it got even better...

Cheers,
Bernard
Hi Bernard,
Can you give me any more insight on your Omega ethernet cables. I just installed an etherregen, have an LPS on order and wondering about a clock. I'm currently sing a mix of supra and a relatively inexpensive Cat8 with telegartner connectors. I've not tried the best from Wireworld or Synergistic but keep hearing the Shynyata is maybe the current best?
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!