Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
phantom I glitches when playing a certain song
Hi,

so I recently purchased a Phantom I and am very pleased with it so far, but one thing has been bothering me. When I play the song called "Trance" by metro boomin, at around 15 seconds in the speaker just cuts off and tries to reconnect to my laptop, and when the speaker connects again the bass is very less compared to before the speaker cut off unless i restart the speaker then it gets fixed. however, it happens again if I try to play the same song again. does this mean the speaker is faulty or the problem is with the music file. 

I am using a ethernet wire for connection 

thanks
Quick update,

I tried to check at what volume the glitch starts and i found out that below 50% volume its fine but once i play this song above 50% volume there is a click sound every 3 seconds and after about 10-15 seconds into the song the speaker just cuts connection. When the speaker is reconnected the bass is very weak and not as punchy but the song plays perfectly with no glitches this time. Its like the bass initially was too strong for it to handle so it decides to lower the bass unless i retart the phantom.

Any help would be appreciated as to why this is happening, because i was planning to buy a second phantom for a stereo setup but this issue is really bothering me.

Please Help
@ZeeZ
Strange problem. Which song is it?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(11-Mar-2024, 15:10)ragwo Wrote: @ZeeZ
Strange problem. Which song is it?

“Trance” by metro boomin

I tried playing through my phone and my laptop and also playing from apple music and youtube but issue is still there.
That’s so interesting. Have you shared with Devialet?
My guess is your phantoms don't have a rock solid WiFi connection and therefore struggle to stay synced/ time aligned).
Around 15 seconds there's a very deep base in Trance. From my experience, when I experienced issues with the sync and the clicking you describe, it happened mostly during particularly detailed parts of songs like really deep bass sections.
Not a tech expert but I imagine there might be a just a tad more info, thus data in those parts of the audio file to be transferred.

Try to optimize your WiFi and also use PLC if possible, to give your Phantoms multiple options of finding and staying in alignment.
D200. B&W CM10S2. ROON over AIR for Tidal. Chromecast Audio thru SPDIF for Spotify Connect. Technics SL-1200, Ortofon 2M Bronze. 2x Reactor 600 as desktop monitors. Head/earphones: Denon AH-D5000, Campfire Andromeda S.
(02-Apr-2024, 15:30)WesCrackin Wrote: My guess is your phantoms don't have a rock solid WiFi connection and therefore struggle to stay synced/ time aligned).
Around 15 seconds there's a very deep base in Trance. From my experience, when I experienced issues with the sync and the clicking you describe, it happened mostly during particularly detailed parts of songs like really deep bass sections.
Not a tech expert but I imagine there might be a just a tad more info, thus data in those parts of the audio file to be transferred.

Try to optimize your WiFi and also use PLC if possible, to give your Phantoms multiple options of finding and staying in alignment.

I have it connected to ethernet so i dont think stability should be an issue. However, i have tried this song at the demo phantoms at stores and even at the devialet store itself, but the song does not play on anywhere. Even the devialet employees found it strange when i showed the glitch at the store and they said it might be a software issue.
Odd indeed. kind of like a perfect storm, track dynamics and some kind of limiter, i don't necessarily think its a bug or a software glitch as much as it is something to keep you from throwing the speaker away.  I can repro that.  Not sure if its the deep deep bass or the complex oscillation but about 15 seconds with enough volume  more than 50 something and it pops the right speaker shuts down for me.  its kind of saying NOPE not gonna let you break me today...   sometimes it recovers on its own but more often needs a restart.sci  D pero
  EITHER WAY SOMETHING THE R&D TEAM should look at , that's not the track the Marketing team wants to play on some stage someplace... Wink
(14-Apr-2024, 10:41)scotthar Wrote: Odd indeed. kind of like a perfect storm, track dynamics and some kind of limiter, i don't necessarily think its a bug or a software glitch as much as it is something to keep you from throwing the speaker away.  I can repro that.  Not sure if its the deep deep bass or the complex oscillation but about 15 seconds with enough volume  more than 50 something and it pops the right speaker shuts down for me.  its kind of saying NOPE not gonna let you break me today...   sometimes it recovers on its own but more often needs a restart.sci  D pero
  EITHER WAY SOMETHING THE R&D TEAM should look at , that's not the track the Marketing team wants to play on some stage someplace... Wink

Yes exactly it shuts off and then tries to reconnect but then the bass will be a lot less compared to before it shuts off. And the only way to fix it is by restarting the phantom. 

My only issue is that if im paying this much money for a phantom I should not be thinking everytime i play a new song if it will work or not, even if the possibility of this glitch happening is very low.
(16-Apr-2024, 17:26)ZeeZ Wrote:
(14-Apr-2024, 10:41)scotthar Wrote: Odd indeed. kind of like a perfect storm, track dynamics and some kind of limiter, i don't necessarily think its a bug or a software glitch as much as it is something to keep you from throwing the speaker away.  I can repro that.  Not sure if its the deep deep bass or the complex oscillation but about 15 seconds with enough volume  more than 50 something and it pops the right speaker shuts down for me.  its kind of saying NOPE not gonna let you break me today...   sometimes it recovers on its own but more often needs a restart.sci  D pero

Yes exactly it shuts off and then tries to reconnect but then the bass will be a lot less compared to before it shuts off. And the only way to fix it is by restarting the phantom. 

My only issue is that if im paying this much money for a phantom I should not be thinking everytime i play a new song if it will work or not, even if the possibility of this glitch happening is very low.

Your playback problem is an interesting one. One thought that comes to mind is that the music file itself is the problem, that is to say the way it has been mastered or has been stored on the streaming service you're pulling the song from. There could be clipping occurring that the Phantom picks on, it being such a precise playback instrument. This is why the problem presents itself at the same moment in the song everytime it is played
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i