Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
power supply?
(07-May-2018, 11:53)Axel Wrote: I’m not going to get into an argument with you. I hear a difference, you cannot disprove that. Have you tried it? Are you qualified to comment?

It’s not about disproving. Just because you believe you “hear” a difference still doesn’t mean it’s possible.

It’s also not about qualification, it’s about the way the hardware works and that is NOT the way it works and it’s impossible for it to do so. If your router could effect the physical audio output of the Phantom then maybe my router can effect the resolution of my phone screen. I may have to use a booster for my router in order for my physical phone screen to display at full resolution. Cause that makes sense.....

What don’t you get about the Phantom REQUIRING the bit perfect digital audio file at ALL TIMES before it will even accept the audio? Even if your Internet were running on a dial up connection the Phantom would still REQUIRE the full bit perfect digital audio file, and WILL not play until it’s received it. If the connection is too slow or quality isn’t right the audio will skip. It will not downgrade the output quality. It will always output the exact same full quality perfect version of the audio no matter what the connection. It’s a digital file. No amount of interference or variable fluctuations in the electricity is going to effect that, ESPECIALLY not from your router. It just doesn’t make sense and doesn’t work like that.

If I download a game from the Internet to my PC, if my router has electrical interference it doesn’t mean the game is going to have missing files or corrupt files or incomplete files. It won’t matter. The game will download fully and complete and all files will be intact. Because they’re digital files that will be received either perfectly or not at all until it’s perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
(08-May-2018, 01:16)kmjy Wrote:
(07-May-2018, 11:53)Axel Wrote: I’m not going to get into an argument with you. I hear a difference, you cannot disprove that.  Have you tried it? Are you qualified to comment?

It’s not about disproving. Just because you believe you “hear” a difference still doesn’t mean it’s possible.

It’s also not about qualification, it’s about the way the hardware works and that is NOT the way it works and it’s impossible for it to do so. If your router could effect the physical audio output of the Phantom then maybe my router can effect the resolution of my phone screen. I may have to use a booster for my router in order for my physical phone screen to display at full resolution. Cause that makes sense.....

What don’t you get about the Phantom REQUIRING the bit perfect digital audio file at ALL TIMES before it will even accept the audio? Even if your Internet were running on a dial up connection the Phantom would still REQUIRE the full bit perfect digital audio file, and WILL not play until it’s received it. If the connection is too slow or quality isn’t right the audio will skip. It will not downgrade the output quality. It will always output the exact same full quality perfect version of the audio no matter what the connection. It’s a digital file. No amount of interference or variable fluctuations in the electricity is going to effect that, ESPECIALLY not from your router. It just doesn’t make sense and doesn’t work like that.

If I download a game from the Internet to my PC, if my router has electrical interference it doesn’t mean the game is going to have missing files or corrupt files or incomplete files. It won’t matter. The game will download fully and complete and all files will be intact. Because they’re digital files that will be received either perfectly or not at all until it’s perfect.  

Absolutely correct!
(08-May-2018, 01:16)kmjy Wrote:
(07-May-2018, 11:53)Axel Wrote: I’m not going to get into an argument with you. I hear a difference, you cannot disprove that. Have you tried it? Are you qualified to comment?

I don’t know anything about Phantoms and their requirements, but that’s not the point.
With any piece of Electronic equipment, if you use a switch mode power supply, the PSU will feed digital hash back into the electrical circuit, contaminating all of the mains supply throughout the house. This digital hash can be heard in some cases and can cause jitter, with all of its well documented associated problems. Using a good quality Linear Power Supply, the digital hash is eliminated, thus improving sound quality.
Even if your Phantom is receiving bit perfect digital audio files, it will sound better with a decent LPSU.
Like @Johnnydev says, you can get an Sbooster with a 14 day money back deal. Why not get one and try it on your modem/router?
Plenty of people hear a difference. Maybe you will too.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Phantom is not effected by network jitter due to the way it handles the audio files.

The power supply on your router won’t effect the Phantom. Neither does changing the power cable on the Phantom like some people suggest.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
The only thing I could see it do is remove eventual spikes and even out the shape of your power. Ie. if you have bad power lines, a noisy source or have bought a router for $5 on ebay. f.ex. it might result in a disrupted audio stream, causing an audio glitch or no audio at all. But that would only be if you were also using PLC. So, it wouldn't be because of your router in that case either.

But changing the characteristics of the audio? Nope, no can do - it's digital.

If you DO have bad cables in the house, power lines etc, it might be a good thing to get to not have disruptions. But, there are other things to help with that =)
Digital audio forums generally comprise 2 groups....those with a little theoretical knowledge, who believe that bit perfect digital can’t be corrupted and therefore never try things like power cables or power supplies and denigrate anyone who does. 

And those with either no or lots of knowledge who swap cables and power supplies and achieve useful improvements and a lot of flack from the first group. Happens on every audio forum
(09-May-2018, 08:43)Blackmorec Wrote: Digital audio forums generally comprise 2 groups....those with a little theoretical knowledge, who believe that bit perfect digital can’t be corrupted and therefore never try things like power cables or power supplies and denigrate anyone who does. 

And those with either no or lots of knowledge who swap cables and power supplies and achieve useful improvements and a lot of flack from the first group. Happens on every audio forum

It happens because these claims are bullshit. Too much belief and not enough sense. A router cannot effect the end output of the Phantom. All the audio is filtered before it even exits the unit. Whatever could be wrong with it is already smoothed out before playing natively on the Phantom.

I would agree that traditionally this works on other speakers, but not Phantom. The whole architecture is different and closed off to any outside effects.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Devialet Phantom (White)
Have you ever thought that maybe you are in denial because you believe something can’t happen. I’ve been around hi-fi long enough to see people with strong, but otherwise untested views come a right cropper simply because they don’t understand all the mechanisms that ultimately determine how a device sounds. Your claim that it can’t have any effect is by default a claim that you know and understand all the mechanism and phenomena in play, which I don’t for one moment believe. I’m therefore far more inclined to believe those who try it and hear a difference vs. Those who don’t try it because it contradicts there beliefs and current technical understanding, such as is it.
For upwards of 40 years we’ve believed that digital sound is inferior to analog but recent developments have finally demonstrated this to be untrue....but its taken that 40+ years to understand all the issues that were holding back digital replay, despite many years of bit perfect files.
The Phantom is not designed in such a way to be effected by this. The architecture of the unit isn’t similar to other systems even if the end result is still an audio output. There are factors at play on the hardware and software side of the Phantom that eliminate any of the things people say from having an effect.

I’d love to gain more performance if it were possible but unfortunately for this system it is not.

Devialet Phantom (White)
(10-May-2018, 05:33)OBlackmorec Wrote: Have you ever thought that maybe you are in denial because you believe something can’t happen.  I’ve been around hi-fi long enough to see people with strong, but otherwise untested views come a right cropper simply because they don’t understand all the mechanisms that ultimately determine how a device sounds. Your claim that it can’t have any effect is by default a claim that you know and understand all the mechanism and phenomena in play, which I don’t for one moment believe. I’m therefore far more inclined to believe those who try it and hear a difference vs. Those who don’t try it because it contradicts there beliefs and current technical understanding, such as is it.
For upwards of 40 years we’ve believed that digital sound is inferior to analog but recent developments have finally demonstrated this to be untrue....but its taken that 40+ years to understand all the issues that were holding back digital replay, despite many years of bit perfect files.

+1