Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
standalone, fire-and-forget web radio and DOS2
Hello everyone,

what's been holding me back from upgrading to DOS2 (and from buying a second Classic) is the way web radios are handled with Spark. Basically, it's like Spotify Connect. You start the app, choose what you want, start playback and then it doesn't matter what you do with your phone or PC, playback will not stop until you tell it to. The phone can lose connectivity, the app can be shut down, it doesn't matter. You've just directed the Phantom to play that source, and it will.

I don't want to lose this functionality. I don't want to worry about being the source of music for the family, making sure that my phone stays in range, has enough juice, having to figure out what other device could be a new source to switch to if I decide to go to the shop around the corner and don't want to deprive the family of whatever they are hearing.

Can this be achieved with DOS2?

Thanks all
(26-Dec-2019, 02:01)yepyepyep4711 Wrote: Hello everyone,

what's been holding me back from upgrading to DOS2 (and from buying a second Classic) is the way web radios are handled with Spark. Basically, it's like Spotify Connect. You start the app, choose what you want, start playback and then it doesn't matter what you do with your phone or PC, playback will not stop until you tell it to. The phone can lose connectivity, the app can be shut down, it doesn't matter. You've just directed the Phantom to play that source, and it will.

I don't want to lose this functionality. I don't want to worry about being the source of music for the family, making sure that my phone stays in range, has enough juice, having to figure out what other device could be a new source to switch to if I decide to go to the shop around the corner and don't want to deprive the family of whatever they are hearing.

Thanks all
With a Chromecast Audio connected to an optical input or a UPnP server running on a computer it can be achieved. Might be other ways too.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(26-Dec-2019, 12:11)ragwo Wrote: With a Chromecast Audio connected to an optical input or a UPnP server running on a computer it can be achieved. Might be other ways too.

Let me rephrase that: can the functionality of needing nothing but the phantom(s) once playback has started be achieved with DOS2?
(26-Dec-2019, 12:18)yepyepyep4711 Wrote:
(26-Dec-2019, 12:11)ragwo Wrote: With a Chromecast Audio connected to an optical input or a UPnP server running on a computer it can be achieved. Might be other ways too.

Let me rephrase that: can the functionality of needing nothing but the phantom(s) once playback has started be achieved with DOS2?
I don't think so.
My Phantom Voyage
ROON live radio works well
(26-Dec-2019, 15:58)KarlMarx Wrote: ROON live radio works well
But then you'll need Roon installed on a computer, and pay for the annual/lifetime subscription.
My Phantom Voyage
(26-Dec-2019, 02:01)yepyepyep4711 Wrote: Hello everyone,

Thanks all
I used to listen to ABC lounge radio with Spark. Now I have downloaded their Ios App  on my Iphone and I listen to it all day long with DOS 2 and airplay. From the app I can choose between my pair of Gold or my pair of reactor 600 (but not to both at the same time). If I receive a phone call the radio is muted though.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
(01-Jan-2020, 22:37)eniriop Wrote: If I receive a phone call the radio is muted though.
Exactly what I do not want. Besides the fact that I'm on android Wink I'm not the only person in the house, the music/radio should not depend on me or my personal devices. I intend to call devialet and see if they intend to restore this functionality at some point. I mean, Spotify Connect still works, right? Why stop there?
I wish I had known about this before I upgraded, my phantoms would run web radio all day through Spark and it was perfect. Now I need to use my phone which is ridiculous when I get a call or have some notifications come through or want to show someone something on YouTube for instance.

Can’t understand why Devialet dumped such a great feature. It has certainly halted me buying anymore phantoms as I don’t want to spend extra money on further infrastructure to do it (I.e. Room or similar).
I hope I'm not derailing things, but could Phantoms, either Gold, Classic or Reactors, be fed music and internet radio from a Sonos? If I could go out from my W4S Connect into Phantoms, either coax or optical, that would be very interesting. Just thinking that the Sonos interface and multiple streaming service functionality would be a compelling and easy combination.

Thanks, and welcome to January.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada