Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
totaldac D1 server
(20-Feb-2015, 20:00)ogs Wrote:
(20-Feb-2015, 19:31)bmichels Wrote: all this is not very reasuring....since I also want to buy TotalDAC Server and I WANT ti be able to strealm Tidal.Qibuz with it !

If it is really too complicated for normal human being, I will but an Aurender or ARIES (mays be with a TotalDAC reclocker  Tongue )

I'd love it if someone could report on how the Totaldac reclocker improves the Aries. At the moment this is one of the most interesting combinations considering the feature set of the Aries. And if Auralic can make up their minds on which room correction they will support in the Aries it may become even more interesting.

+1 : ARIES/aurender + Reclocker may be THE solution if SQ is as good as ....TotalDAC Server
(20-Feb-2015, 17:22)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Feb-2015, 17:16)fabiodeluca Wrote: Hi

I'm a new member of the forum.

I'm greatly interested in the iPeng/ICKstream/Tidal discussion going on here

I'm not a Devialet owner but I'm a Totaldac d1 server-d1 dual dac owner

I'm desperately trying to stream Tidal music: many hour trying....no result

I activated a Tidal free trial
I purchased iPeng and installed it on my iPad
IPeng recognized my Totaldac server (with the proper disk image provided by Mr. Brient)
Then the nightmare started....

Impossible to see the Tidal icon. So I read hundreds of web pages to understand that I need this ICKstream in order to have Tidal streaming music. I found ICKstream icon under MyApp in iPeng but when I selected it a message popped up saying that I have to sign up in ICKstream plug in LMS web interface (?!)

After hundreds of pages of reading more, I was able to enter Logitech Media Server (ahhhhh) web interface on my MacBook Pro after installing LMS software (impossible on iPad)
After two hours I was able to install the plug in for ICKstream in LMS (what the hell...looks like a treasure hunt!!) and logged in with Tidal credentials.
I hoped that now I was able to use ICKstream and Tidal services from iPeng....but nothing...the same message popped up....

I have the Totaldac d1 server connected to a dedicated Belkin router which I connected to the Internet with an Ethernet cable connected to my usual ADSL modem router....

I'm going crazy!

Hopefully experiences here on the forum will help me

Regards
Fabio

Hi Fabio, welcome to Devialet Chat!

I've asked Vincent for a step by step guide as I also found this terribly complicated! He has promised me something with screenshots.

Will post an update as soon as I know more.

Guillaume

Hi
Mr. Brient updated the d1-server manual with a step by step guide to setup iPeng with Tidal.It work flawlessly. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Only problem is that the disk image is slightly worse than the MPD only and integration between MAS music and Tidal seems pretty complicate (maybe you should attach everything to an ethernet switch)
RegardsFabio
(24-Feb-2015, 06:37)fabiodeluca Wrote: Hi
Mr. Brient updated the d1-server manual with a step by step guide to setup iPeng with Tidal.It work flawlessly. Big Grin Big Grin Big GrinOnly problem is that the disk image is slightly worse than the MPD only and integration between MAS music and Tidal seems pretty complicate (maybe you should attach everything to an ethernet switch)
Regards
Fabio

Yes I have finally managed to get Tidal working on my totaldac. It turned out that I had a faulty SD card which led to wasting an awful lot of time trying to find/fix a non-existent problem on the network. It is quite tricky to setup as there are so many moving parts (Mysqueezebox, Ipeng, totaldac etc).

The integration is just about ok, it's certainly not as pretty as the Linn Kazoo implementation which is quite impressive actually.

Sound quality-wise I'm not too impressed and I don't know if this is simply because MPD only is just so much better or if there is something I haven't optimised correctly in the Logitech Media Server audio settings... at the moment the sound is a bit muffled and lacking in dynamics like an MP3 perhaps. 

Anyway perhaps if I can improve on the SQ I will get a bit more enthusiastic!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(24-Feb-2015, 18:36)GuillaumeB Wrote: Yes I have finally managed to get Tidal working on my totaldac....

Sound quality-wise I'm not too impressed and I don't know if this is simply because MPD only is just so much better or if there is something I haven't optimised correctly in the Logitech Media Server audio settings... at the moment the sound is a bit muffled and lacking in dynamics like an MP3 perhaps...

Sounds like a s/w problem... but be aware that not all albums on Tidal are 16-bit lossless. They told me that 20-30% are lossy files so maybe you chose the wrong one...

Tidal sounded very good when I tried it on my Mac. In fact I would say that it was often difficult to distinguish between streaming from Tidal and listening to a CD rip of the same album. I didn't go with Tidal as I experienced some stuttering and I preferred to stay with the excellent Qobuz  - French, of course Smile   

When listening critically I can hear differences between Tidal/Qobuz and a CD rip and prefer the latter so I still occasionally buy CDs of music I really like but would guess I listen to Qobuz 80-90% of the time now...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(24-Feb-2015, 22:31)PhilP Wrote:
(24-Feb-2015, 18:36)GuillaumeB Wrote: Yes I have finally managed to get Tidal working on my totaldac....

Sound quality-wise I'm not too impressed and I don't know if this is simply because MPD only is just so much better or if there is something I haven't optimised correctly in the Logitech Media Server audio settings... at the moment the sound is a bit muffled and lacking in dynamics like an MP3 perhaps. 

Anyway perhaps if I can improve on the SQ I will get a bit more enthusiastic!

Guillaume

Sounds like a s/w problem...

Tidal sounded very good when I tried it on my Mac. In fact I would say that it was often difficult to distinguish between streaming from Tidal and listening to a CD rip of the same album. I didn't go with Tidal as I experienced some stuttering and I preferred to stay with the excellent Qobuz  - French, of course Smile   

When listening critically I can hear differences between Tidal/Qobuz and a CD rip and prefer the latter so I still occasionally buy CDs of music I really like but would guess I listen to Qobuz 80-90% of the time now...

Be aware that not all albums on Tidal are 16-bit lossles. They told me that 20-30% are lossy.

Well I'm going to try another couple of options:

1) Streaming Tidal from my iPad to the totaldac via Airplay
2) Borrowing a Linn Akurate DS which I know has a half decent digital out and connecting that to the Dev, that way I can stream using Kazoo which is very slick

I played a number of tracks from different albums and the sound just wasn't good. I don't think there is much else I can do to optimise Ipeng and the LMS on the cubox... I wonder if ickstream isn't the bottleneck here - ickstream provides the Tidal service to the Ipeng app... 

I'm not giving up just yet!  Smile 

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
For what it's worth, my experience with Tidal was very similar to PhilP's.  I opted to stay with Qobuz for the same reasons.

(They've been trying to entice me back today with the complete Led Zeppelin catalog now being available on Tidal.  So far my resolve is holding up...)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(24-Feb-2015, 22:43)thumb5 Wrote: (They've been trying to entice me back today with the complete Led Zeppelin catalog now being available on Tidal.  So far my resolve is holding up...)

I received the same offer but have their original albums on vinyl and much prefer them  to the dodgy digital re masters Wink
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Ok some good news... just tried streaming via Airplay to the totaldac from my iPad. It sounds way better!  Smile

Ok not as amazing as MPD-only but it's perfectly listenable.

The d1 server reclocks the Airplay input so I'm getting some benefit from my setup.  

Guillaume

UK
@Guillaume.

I really like the Tidal iOS app - looks good and works well.

You could use AirPlay to stream Tidal from iPad to your Devialet via an wAirport Express or Apple TV using Toslink cable into the Devialet. I tried that and it works well but the SQ is not as good as Tidal on Mac/AIR

Edit: just saw your post - I would guess it would sound better via Totaldac than direct to D800 but might be worth trying the latter.
Phil - whats the exact app name ? i m finding many if i typed Tidal... got many... do you have image of it ?
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"