Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB to Phantom/Dialog - operational?
(16-Jul-2015, 23:00)MountainGuy Wrote: Thanks. Glad I asked.

So question - with a Windows laptop, can I simply purchase a dongle that takes the USB signal and outputs to optical, and then plug that into the Dialog?   Is there any loss in quality or is the USB to Optical output a bit perfect transformation?   I'm a bit confused about this as most computers to not have optical outputs so I wonder how they expected computers to connect to the Dialog.  

I apologize for what must be a very basic question as they are many Phantom owner and some must be running form their computer as source.

Thanks!
MtnGuy

My apologies if I have misunderstood your query but optical was unlikely to be the primary input for computer, Wi-Fi and Ethernet were, as per the following Devialet website extract

- Play through Wi-Fi all the music stored on your computer, tablet or phone

- Connect sources via optical (Airport extreme, Bluetooth module, game console, CD player, DVD, Blu-Ray)

And again from Devialet

- Devialet's Spark application - downloadable for free- allows you to control your Phantom all together or individually, via Wi-Fi from your computer, smartphone or tablet.

However, if you prefer to use another music program/app (Roon, JRiver etc.), then a USB converter is one way to achieve this.  There are some very good USB->coaxial converters but this again only highlights the lack of suitable connections on the Dialog.  I'll have to leave it to other forumites to suggest an optical converter.

Messages In This Thread
RE: USB to Phantom/Dialog - operational? - by alandbush - 16-Jul-2015, 23:37