Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why SAM don't support Lowther?
(29-Mar-2019, 13:13)ogs Wrote: I generally agree with David here. You won't find 'normal' speakers with the same dynamics and character as the Lowthers however, but you may of course find speakers that satisfies your taste among the SAM enabled ones.  Your best bet for your Lowther speakers is to look out for a SAM lab session near you (or if you live near Paris...) and have them measured for SAM. Then you can decide for yourself if it works well or not. For SAM measurements you only need to bring one speaker. All measurements are laser near-field so room acoustics does not matter.

I assume that your "generally agree" means that you disagree with my comment about the room having an effect.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I know that SAM profiling is done with laser measurements so room acoustics don't affect those measurements or the profile. My point is that with the profile loaded in your Devialet and the speakers playing in your room, the room does play a part in how you hear that extra bass extension. Let's say you have a speaker that is rolling off in your room at 40 Hz without SAM and you get extra extension down to 25-30 Hz. You can end up exciting, or rather exciting more strongly, a room mode below 40 Hz which wasn't an issue without SAM. 

I'm not anti-SAM, I think it's great when you like the result and, as I said, I liked the result with my Dyns but not with my Vocals. If I ever move to a bigger room I'll try SAM again and I would not be surprised if I found I ended up preferring SAM with the Focals in a bigger room just because of the way a bigger room handles low bass frequencies. All I was saying with my mention of the room when it comes to whether or not you prefer SAM is that the room has a big impact on how bass sounds and if the same speaker can deliver good bass in one room and not in another, then the same speaker with SAM engaged can also sound good in one room than another and there's no reason why that speaker may not sound better without SAM in one room and better with it in another, simply because of the impact that the room has when it comes to low bass.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by kamikaze - 27-Mar-2019, 11:05
RE: Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by ogs - 27-Mar-2019, 12:32
RE: Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by Damon - 27-Mar-2019, 18:35
RE: Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by ogs - 29-Mar-2019, 13:13
RE: Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by David A - 29-Mar-2019, 20:29
RE: Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by ogs - 29-Mar-2019, 22:30
RE: Why SAM don't support Lowther? - by ogs - 30-Mar-2019, 11:19