Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
(17-May-2019, 14:30)alaw Wrote: @David A  ok, understand. I thought you were using this as a solution for the current Roon/Devialet 1Gb/s network drop out problem, but it’s primarily to split audio and control streams. I will have a play when I get home. Thanks for all the excellent information.

There are servers from firms like Innuos, Antipodes, and Melco which have 2 ethernet connections, one for the network and one for passing the music signal to your chosen endpoint which in our case is a Devialet. They claim that this delivers better sound quality than passing the music over the wider network. Given that we've had people here such as @GuillaumeB  posting about the benefits of audiophile switches I've wondered whether the best solution to dealing with switches was eliminating them as Innuos and those others do by providing a second ethernet connection for your endpoint. I approached this issue as a way of achieving that.

As a side issue, it seems to avoid the gigabit ethernet problem. The connection between Nucleus and Devialet is gigabit as confirmed by the connection speed light on the Nucleus. As I said, I haven't had any issues with the gigabit dropout problem in 4 days streaming the high res source material I have at its native rate or when I tried using Roon's DPS to convert everything to 24/192 for 3 to 4 hours.

And as I said, I'm not claiming this as a fix for the gigabit problem. I think we'd all want to see this running for a longer time and with a lot more people than the current 2 before we started claiming a fix but so far it does seem to avoid the problem. In any event, even if it is a "fix" it's only going to be a fix for those people like me who have their Nucleus close enough to their Devialet to allow them to make a direct connection. It's unlikely to be a practical fix if your Nucleus and Devialet aren't in the same room.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread