Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
@David A: Excellent explanation. Thank you!

On my configuration via router, Roon READY was not working fine (mainly on HRs and MQAs). Roon AIR (bit-perfect asynchronous mode) had no problem at all.

Today I had setup Direct Ethernet (Gigabit) connection between my Roon Core (Windows 10 PC) and Devialet Expert, using a second network card. Then I spent many hours using/testing both Roon READY and Roon AIR... Smile

At the end, I came to two conclusions:
  1. Switching to Direct Ethernet (Gigabit) connection made an obvious improvement to Roon READY. Still not perfect, but it is almost acceptable.
  2. A possible cause for Roon READY issues may be the fact that this protocol is much "heavy" for the network (and devices) than Roon AIR. Since now I have a dedicated network card for Roon Core - Devialet communication, it is easy to compare. Thus (see attached pictures):
  • Average network traffic from Roon Core to Devialet is almost double for Roon READY versus Roon AIR.
  • Network traffic from Roon Core to Devialet is very fluctuating for Roon READY, while for Roon AIR it is pretty steady.
  • There is ~8 times more network traffic from Devialet to Roon Core for Roon READY versus Roon AIR.
On the other hand, I didn't notice sound quality differences between Roon READY and Roon AIR.
So, I am wondering: why using Roon RAAT, and not Roon AIR?
I am also wondering why Roon Core playing the same track is sending to Devialet almost a double amount of information  for Roon READY versus Roon AIR?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly" - by daniel.avasilichioaei - 17-May-2019, 21:12