Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here
(13-May-2018, 05:05)Pim Wrote:
(13-May-2018, 04:24)David A Wrote: Yes, you can make them sound a bit nicer with more watts but that can become very expensive for small improvements. I think a D200 with a pair of Contour 1.1s would sound more than nice enough to satisfy pretty well anyone who doesn't obsess about getting the absolute ultimate in performance because that is going to become very expensive very fast. Provided the room isn't too big, 200w/ch with the stand mount Contours is capable of delivering superb performance with good setup. If you have a D400 they will sound nicer but you're going close to doubling the cost of your amplification and you won't get anywhere near twice as good sound quality and you're also probably never going to use the extra 3 dB of peak output level you can get from the extra watts. You're definitely into diminishing returns territory in my view.

You're pretty much spot on @David A. 

I had (still have in a box) a D170 on my C1's first. Then went to D200 and SAM with the firmware upgrade and that gave the biggest improvement. The step to Od'A did give me better sound quality indeed but the jump wasn't as big. It's mainly at lower volumes that the sound becomes fuller with the Od'A but I'm sure larger speakers at the end of a D200 would have done the same if not better. I just jumped for the Od'A with the prospect of bigger speakers in the future. My previous post was more to illustrate how much influence good amplification (Devialet  Big Grin )  can have on a pair of speaker.

I have the new Contour 20 and can attest that anything less than a D220 is a fellony.

In the meantime the new Confidence has been shown in Munchen. Dynaudio claims that it is there best loudspeaker yet. New version of the Esotar tweeter, new baffle material, new magnets... Now I'm just waiting for Pim to order those babies and give us a review. For me unfortunately, with their price tag of €12000 for the smallest model, they are out of reach.

Messages In This Thread
RE: List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here - by MIKE - 10-Feb-2018, 16:25
RE: List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here - by Stino - 13-May-2018, 08:39