Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase and low frequency checks
I have a couple of queries.

I've got a disc with lots of system checks on it, one being a phase check. A voice speaks firstly in phase, then out. In phase the voice is central in the sound stage, out of phase the voice is at the edges of the sound stage. When I use the Devialet to adjust the output to be in phase or out, there is no difference made to the out of phase voice from the CD. Why is this?

Secondly, I can play low frequency sound waves from the CD. If I play a 21Hz sound wave with SAM off, I can just about hear the tone.  With SAM on at 100%, the loudness of the sound is increased, but the sound pulses at a non regular interval. This also happens at 23Hz, 24Hz and all the way up to 30Hz when the pulsing ceases and there is no difference in the loudness of the tone with SAM on or off. Is this irregular pulsing effect a sign that SAM is cutting the signal to "save" my speakers? If I reduce the ammount of SAM to 30%, the pulsing goes away. Also, when SAM is on at 100%, there is a "breathy" overtone to the sound waves up to 30Hz.

I am leaving SAM off now as it doesn't seem to be making any noticeable difference to the sound.

Any thoughts?
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 26-Sep-2015, 16:51
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by f1eng - 26-Sep-2015, 17:00
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 27-Sep-2015, 12:22
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 26-Sep-2015, 17:19
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 26-Sep-2015, 18:45
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 27-Sep-2015, 16:26