Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Resolution....anyway to improve...?
I have posted a fair bit about the problems I have with the Phantoms stability but this can be figured out. 

There is only one other rub with the Phantoms - resolution.  I realized that many of you here rave about the Phantom as coming close to your mega kilo buck systems that cost quite a bit more than the Phantoms. However, I'm not hearing that for one reason - resolution.  I really want to believe those who rave about how closely the Phantom match you megabucks system but currently our ears hear differently.  So it's a matter whether to trust other comments or our ears.  This post is to see if we can reconcile the difference. 

Testing the Phantoms with Tidal's highest setting over the wireless Spark, it sounds nice but is clearly and significantly less resolved than my existing system.  The Phantom's does sound very very coherent (timing & phase?) but the resolution simply feels pretty typical of most good mid range speakers.  My wife who has very good ears heard it right away though she still things that Phantom's coherence is excellent.   So microdynamics of drum strikes, guitars plucks, bowed instruments etc are just not as transparent or real.  This is also very much true of the bass frequencies, not just the trebles.  Edges of a note simply simply does not start and stop and stop as quickly. 

The most recent firmware upgrade a few weeks ago seemed to improve this substantively but the gap is still considerable. 

Questions: 
1. Am I the only one that feel this? 
2. Anyone figure out a way to improve the resolution? 

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Phantom Resolution....anyway to improve...? - by MountainGuy - 18-Nov-2015, 19:46