Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ongoing: Phantom/Dialog/Spark protocol deciphering and development
OK - My next project is to understand how the Phantoms work with the dialog so I’m ready to put some effort in, but I need someone that understands networking to decipher the data I capture. Does anybody want to help>

I have installed Wireshark and have a switch that i can configure for port mirroring coming next week. I have two Golds and a dialog. I also have a HiFiBerry and a Roon setup so I reckon I can capture all the traffic related to the different scenarios. I just can’t understand the traffic :-(. 

Does anyone have network expertise who can review the WireShark capture file and explain it to me? The scenarios I want to look at are:
- Using Spark on a PC to play a library track
- Using Spark on a PC to play a tidal track (watch it as it loads and plays)
- Using Roon to play an MQA Tidal file to the HiFiBerry device which is then fibre plugged into one of the Phantoms
- Playing a source (my TV) through the Dialog Optical Input
- Using the iPhone spark app to play a library track and a tidal track
- Using Bluetooth for the iPhone to connect to one of the phantoms and play a track
- Using AirPlay on the iPhone to connect to the airplay dialog
- Using a network player like river to connect to UPNP on the dialog to play a track 

I am interested in: 
- what is actually streaming the sound file to the phantoms (assume it is the Dialog) and what protocol
- how the phantoms signify they are ready to play and then how does the system keep both of them in sync as timing must be critical - i assume they keep sending each other heartbeat signals
- are the protocols encrypted? If not then that’s not good in one way but great in another.
Kit: 2 x Devialet Phantom Gold’s plus 3 year Phantom care packs, White tree stands, Dialog, Phantom Remote. Use jRiver, Spark, Roon with a HiFiBerry RAAT using a fibre output.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ongoing: Phantom/Dialog/Spark protocol deciphering and development - by pscampbe - 24-Nov-2018, 02:15