Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old B&W Models (803D and 804D)- Are they worth it?
For my taste a used D2 would be worth a lot more than a D. I liked the Nautilus models (had the N802). I thought the D2 models sounded much better than the first D models, which were too bright for my taste, and the D3 were an even bigger improvement.

That said, I think all would be a big upgrade from the Atohm GT-1 just for full-range sound. I don't think the 803 was worth the increased cost until maybe the D3 generation, and even then I prefer the 804D3 if cost is at all a factor (and the 802D2 if it isn't). The 803 seems an awkward compromise in the B&W line, still lovely just not at all as good as the 802 yet not so much better than the 804. This is all personal taste of course, but I have heard all these speakers and most many times in many places (less the 803 prior to D3). I hope you get to enjoy some B&W as much as I do. When auditioning keep in mind that they need significant time (hundreds of hours?) to break in before they sound great. Initially they sound comparatively bright, harsh, and small, lacking the ease that comes when the drivers relax.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Old B&W Models (803D and 804D)- Are they worth it? - by deviousalet - 25-Feb-2017, 14:18