Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound quality Bluesound Node 2, connected with Devialet D200
Hi all,

Since oct 2015 I’m the happy owner of a D200, enjoying the great virtues of this device.
However, I still have a nagging question.
The digitally connected Bluesound Node 2  doesn’t sound as well as the analogue connected Naim CD5 player. 
Comparing the same music as CD track and ripped as FLAC file, the CD sounds more defined and detailed, has more air around the instruments and vocals.
My dealer’s explanation at the time was that the Bluesound is a relatively cheap device. You cannot expect too much from it.

Besides the medium some other variables could have an influence:

1.      DAC
I’ve understood that the main variable would be the quality of the DAC.
The Bluesound is using the D200 DAC, while the Naim CD5 is using it’s own DAC. The Naim is from 2001 and doesn’t have a digital output.
So has this 15 year old Naim CD5 (their entry level player) a better DAC than the D200. It’s hard to believe.

2.      Cable connection.
The Bluesound is connected with an Audioquest Forest Dig. Coax cable.
The Naim with a proprietary Naim DIN cable.
Isn’t the Audioquest cable good enough ?

Some more background info:
-         It doesn’t make any difference in sound when the FLAC files are on the cable connected NAS or “directly” on an inserted USB stick.
-         If the Bluesound is analog connected with the D200 the sound gets worse.
-         The CD’s are ripped with EAC and Dbpoweramp.

Hope, you have some suggestions,
Ed
living room: Rega Planar3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze - Naim CD5 (Naim DIN cable) - Sony UBP-X800 (Audioquest Forest) - Nakamichi BX300-E
Devialet D200 - Devialet AIR with Roon
Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arreté (Supra Ply 3.4S) - Dynaudio Contour 1.1 mk2
study: JRiver - Windows PC - Roon - Audeze Deckard - Focal Elear

Messages In This Thread
Sound quality Bluesound Node 2, connected with Devialet D200 - by Lowland - 19-Jun-2017, 15:03