Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Yorker article on audiophilia
(14-Jan-2018, 18:09)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(14-Jan-2018, 17:52)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(14-Jan-2018, 17:02)Jean-Marie Wrote: Fully agreed! This or at a dealer that sets them up properly. 

Jean-Marie

Of course this is the ideal scenario.

However for some the first impressions of the Phantom will be disappointing due to the source material often being played and the poor acoustic environment they are displayed in. I have heard countless examples of the Phantoms being driven to ear splitting volumes, the emphasis seems to be on shock and awe (bass and volume) rather than music. In fact I can name a few incidents myself.

I wonder what proportion of Phantoms are sold by dealers. Aren't many now sold direct and/or through retailers such as the Apple Store? I wonder how many people have their phantoms set up less than optimally. Have Devialet actually produced a guide to in room placement for the Phantoms?

Guillaume
I have no idea. 
I suspect that the bass heavy and high volume type of demo is geared towards an other type of client than us. I’m sure that if walk in to listen to phantoms we will come with our own music and will also take control of the volume. (For instance, for my personal test, one of the best demonstration of a pair of Gold is using the first movement of the 6th symphony for pipe Organ from Charles-Marie Widor and certainly not what they use normally, but I can also understand that it is not to everyone’s taste Angel )

Jean-Marie

I imagine organ music would be perfect to demonstrate the Phantoms! Actually most speakers/set ups struggle to convincingly reproduce the organ. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Yorker article on audiophilia - by GuillaumeB - 14-Jan-2018, 18:13