Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
As promised, here's the first part of my notes from the event, which focuses on the questions formulated by @Hifi_swlon  and @Confused (post 32 of this thread)...

I hope I do justice to this.  Needless to say if anyone else at the event wants to chip in to add or correct my notes, please go ahead.

Expert Pro / General:

1) What is replacing the current Expert iOS volume control, and when’s it due for release? Also, please consider keeping and updating the current one, the design is great and just needs updating for current iOS, iPads, and add a few extra controls (like tone, SAM).

A: Devialet are planning a refreshed iOS app, which will maintain the rotary volume control but add capabilities to match the hardware remote (tone, SAM, RAM, ...). No timescale was discussed.

2) What are the plans for the web based configurator onboard the CI? Will it evolve to replace the current internet configurator, and ultimately remove the need for SD card configuration? Please share as much detail as you can.

A: The current on-board web interface was required to meet Airplay certification, and is not really intended for general use. There will be a proper on-board configurator (#3 on the priority list after Roon RAAT and Bluetooth support) but this will probably be a subset of the current on-line configurator.

3) What is the signal path for AIR on the CI, compared to AES/EBU and USB?  Or in other words, is there an optimum way to feed and Expert Pro with respect to ultimate performance / sound quality?

A: There is a new clocking architecture for “legacy” inputs (those not using streaming software on the CI).  A white paper is in the works to describe this and other parts of the CI architecture.  Devialet were politely encouraged to include as much technical info as possible in the white paper!

4) Are there any technical reasons why the beta and latest versions of the firmware can influence sound quality? Have any changes to the beta and latest versions of the firmware been specifically intended to improve sound quality performance?

A: In general there are no planned SQ changes due to firmware upgrades.  An exception was beta 12 to beta 14 where improvements to high-res streaming were made, affecting AIR in particular.

5) With respect to the master companion link, are there any plans for to implement an alternative link method?  For example, Dante or Ravenna protocol, or are any other options like Ethernet being considered?  (To mitigate issues such as XLR cable length).

A: As I understand it: no. Dante is being considered but for use as an input in pro installations, not as a master/slave link. By the way, Devialet now recommend using RCA-RCA (rather than hybrid) link cable.

6) Are there any plans to increase playback resolution (or is the Pro-CI or Phantom physically capable of):
• Present - PCM to 24-bit/192 kHz and DoP / DSD64
• Future - PCM to 32bit/768kHz and DoP to DSD512, Native DSD to DSD512?
• Or anything above 192/DSD64?

A: [Not sure I captured everything relevant here...] USB offers the highest resolution as it has the highest raw bandwidth.  No immediate plans to increase supported resolutions.  (Although, there were some rash promises based on whether France win the World Cup...)

7) What is the input impedance of the MM phono input? Has this been changed since Stereophile measured 14K on the D-Premier?

A: It was 16.7 kΩ on the D-Premier (reported as 14 kΩ by Stereophile) but has always been 47 kΩ on all Expert models.

8) Is it technically possible to increase the power output of the 250Pro?  Similarly, is there any scope for power increases for the 220, 440 & 1000 Pro models?

A: If I got this right: no more power can be got from existing units.  This is due to limits on how much heat can be dissipated through the casework, except on 130/140 where the current delivery of the class D amp is the limiting factor

Legacy Expert Models:

9) What is the future for the “non-Pro” Expert models?  What happened to the twice yearly firmware updates that were meant to make the EVO platform unique in its ability to constantly evolve and remove obsolescence? The computational power of the Expert range in use was specified as only 20% utilized from the fw10. This means that there is room for software improvements also in the old range.  If not been abandoned completely, what can “legacy Expert” owners expect in the future?

A: To get benefits of evolution one needs to upgrade to Expert Pro CI - that is, keep up to date.  Expert and Pro without CI are still supported but will not evolve.

10) Will the upgrade program restart? If so, when?

A: Expected to be later this year (“summer”), as noted elsewhere.

Phantom questions:

11) Is it possible to have a switch in Spark that selects "normal", "zero latency" or "time-coincident" for Phantom?

A: There is a Direct Optical Mode with very low latency, but no control over volume as the operating software is bypassed - the Phantom just plays what it gets in optical input.

Joachim showed me the following procedure to engage this mode:
1: launch Phantom app (not Spark)
2: restart Phantom (3 clicks)
3: pair Phantom with app
4: on app, tap ten times between “mute” and “night” icons
5: select Optical Direct mode
6: select channel (L/R/mix)
7: select max. output level 0dB/-12dB

[Disclaimer: since I'm not familiar with Phantom I can't guarantee this is exactly correct - please take care, and contact Devialet if in any doubt.]

12) Any plans to include Phantoms in the RoonReady program after the Experts are certified?

A: Maybe, but not for at least 12-18 months

Communication:

13) Is the infamous pledge to make a better communication area on the website for engaging with customers still a reality? The Infinity Core log seemed to fade, with limited Devialet posting, and nothing for the latest final release software. Can they reconsider engaging with Devialetchat?

A: Devialet are actively considering how to improve engagement with customers.  This event was part of the re-engagement process.  They are very aware of Devialet Chat; it may feature in their plans, or they may do something independent.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018 - by thumb5 - 12-Jul-2018, 20:41