Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Developping a stereo system replacing spark + dialog
@streamy was quicker than me!

Hi @BlackMamba, welcome here!
I've been through these thoughts some time ago. I did not buy Phantoms because, at the time, it was too complicated to make it work...

Here are a few points:
1 Dialog can use powerline, wifi or ethernet to talk to Phantoms - so it is not only wifi.

2 If you want to use the native volume control of Phantoms you can follow your own idea with two TOSLINK ports splitting L/R in the streamer.

3 I believe you can do a similar setup by pretending that LEFT is one room and RIGHT is the other. By controlling both 'rooms' with a Dialog you still have volume control and sending signal to each Phantom with TOSLINK bypasses Dialog.

4 By setting the Phantoms to 'Direct Optical Mode' as per Q 11 in this post https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Last-min...6#pid76696 you'll drive Phantoms directly from the TOSLINK inputs, but you'll have to do volume control in the digital domain before it enters Phantoms.

I was researching option 2. I did not find a device that could split and route L and R over separate TOSLINK ports. No vendors (apart from Vincent at Totaldac) where willing to create L and R TOSLINK.
For 3 I am not certain so I hope a Phantom owner can chime in and tell us if this is possible.
4 is actually an 'installer' mode meant for use with the 'Dante dongle' or a MCH movie system.

I do not think Dialog has bad sound quality as such, it's more with its functionality, but for Spark I'd agree it is quite bad.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developping a stereo system replacing spark + dialog - by ogs - 20-Sep-2018, 22:22