Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about the switch from tubes to a Devialet...
Ok, so I've slowly been migrating from an all-tube set-up to more of a ss rig. I've got a tubed preamp and phono stage (EAR 868) mated to a First Watt J2, driving some Gallo Strada2s with a REL 218 sub in a small office rig (quasi near-field set-up). I've got a highly tweaked SL1200 with an Origin Live arm, Paul Hynes psu, Funk Firm platter and mat, Mike New bearing, and Lyra Delos cartridge. At first glance the tt would appear to be the weak link, but it's not. I'm running an Auralic Vega dac.

I LOVE the simplicity of the Devialet, but I'm worried about eliminating tubes entirely from my rig, as well as the lack of DSD. Lately, I've been listening to Tidal just about all day. The 2000 would also make it quite easy to digitize my vinyl.

I've demo'd the Devialet in another rig and it was just that a demo. I thought it sounded very good, but was worried about how it might sound after listening to it for abt 6 hours a day every day. Given how much I listen to my rig while working, tube wear is a concern. However the bigger hassle is the 1 hour or so it takes to get my pre-amp sounding good. That's also an interesting part of the Devialet. Putting it into stand-by mode and being able to power it up and listen to music quickly and, presumably, near its peak ability

I'm worried about losing the elasticity, palpability and soundstage of a good tubed rig.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Thinking about the switch from tubes to a Devialet... - by jky999 - 07-Dec-2014, 16:41