Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
This is perhaps slightly off topic, but does have some relevance.  This week SOtM offered a firmware update for the sMS-200 and similar products.  This new firmware offers the option to select between 1000BASE-T and 100BASE-T.  To quote from SOtM:

Also we tested when setting network speed to 100BASE-T, there was certain sound improvement compared to when setting network speed to 1000 BASE-T, so we’ve added a function to be selected the network speed between 100Base-T and 1000Base-T  and it is to make the better sound quality according to the system and network environment.

In other words, SOtM are claiming a sound quality improvement for switching to 100BASE-T.  I have read some speculative posts elsewhere that considers that by sending the Ethernet packet data at a steadier rate, this leads to less noise and processing in the receiving audio device.  Just a theory I guess, and I am sure that objectivists will claim this can have no effect.  Personally, I do not know enough about the possible effects of packet data rates to form an informed opinion either way.  

An interesting concept though, lower the network speed and get better sound quality.  At least this is something controversial that can be tried for free, as opposed to buying a $1500 network switch or something.  I wonder if this could have a positive effect on sound quality when streaming via Ethernet direct to a Devialet?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly" - by Confused - 23-Mar-2019, 09:45