Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sound quality - Roon RAAT vs Roon Air
I'm one of the people who never had an issue with streaming via Roon RAAT over gigabit ethernet, at least until I tried streaming anything in 192/24. The highest resolution file I had om NucleusPlus was 176.4/24 and that played without problems. I always streamed at native resolution and the highest resolution Tidal had was MQA which Roon decoded to 96/24. It wasn't until I used Roon to upconvert everything to 192/24 that I struck the problem, and I only did that to see if I could get the problem. For me the issue was very definitely the combination of RAAT, gigabit ethernet, and a 192/24 stream. 18 months ago I replaced the Cisco ethernet switch my Devialet and the Roon Nucleus Plus were connected to with an ETGERRegen with the 100 mbps port feeding the Devialet and the RAAT connection has been trouble free since then but then it was trouble free prior to that unless I was streaming 192/24 resolution files.

Why does a 100mbps connection work better than gigabit? From everything I've heard it does seem to come down to problems with how Devialet handle the network stack but there's still the questions related to the differences in experience that some of us have had. I seem to remember Roon stating at one time that they had offered to help Devialet fix the problem and a comment somewhere else that Devialet had declined assistance. I think the last firmware update helped some people but it didn't help all Devialet users. Devialet still has work to do and they seem to work particularly slowly on software problems that don't affect everyone. This doesn't affect everyone.

As for people without Devialet gear getting dropout/stuttering problems, I think the reason for that is obvious. Dropouts and stuttering aren't a problem. Well, they are to the listener but when it comes to what's going on they aren't a network problem, they're the symptom of a network problem and in that regard they're a bit like something like fever in humans. Fever isn't a disease, it's a symptom of a disease, and many different diseases can cause fever. You have to treat the disease to solve the problem successfully. With network issues there's more than one problem that can cause dropouts or stuttering, it's a symptom shared by many network problems and some of those network problems don't require a Devialet in the network chain to manifest themselves.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sound quality - Roon RAAT vs Roon Air - by David A - 12-Aug-2021, 09:24