Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade my 250 to a 1000 or go with a different integrated?
As someone who owns the 1000, I'd actually recommend that you stay with the 250. For me, the sound quality upgrade from D250 to D250 Pro was a bigger improvement than the addition of a second unit to make the 1000. Yes, the 1000 does sound marginally better. But it's not night and day. And your Sabrinas are relatively efficient, so you'll probably not need the additional power.

For what it's worth, the money I spent on hiring an expert to dial in the system (Stirling Trayle at Audio Systems Optimized) made a *much* bigger difference than the move from 250 to 1000 (and a lot cheaper, too!).

That said, if I were in the market to switch, I'd probably start by auditioning the current integrateds from CH Precision, Constellation, Mark Levinson, Pass Labs, and Aesthetix. And I'd wring my hands about whether to go with an onboard DAC (likely difficult or impossible to upgrade) or a separate DAC (more boxes, more choices, more cables). And if you decide on a separate DAC, why not consider a pre/DAC (dCS Bartok, for example) and an amp? See, too many choices!!
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Upgrade my 250 to a 1000 or go with a different integrated? - by flohmann - 22-Jul-2019, 02:04