Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From windows/jriver to linux/roon
Heart 
(09-Aug-2019, 11:36)jbp Wrote: I would like to share how happy I am with the move from windows / jriver to linux/ roon.

A few days ago I upgraded my windows 10 pro with several patches from Microsoft and also Jriver to the latest version. It went wrong and I started to have drops, noise, etc. I tried everything I remembered and even reinstalled windows, air and jriver. No success. I was doing something wrong ... but never found out what.

Then I decided to install linux Ubuntu 19.04 and roon. It was very simple and worked without any special settings. That was good, but the best was that the sound quality improved a lot, and I mean a lot. A jump in quality greater than the last hardware upgrade (the pro upgrade with the new board). I  can’t stop listening Smile
Win 10 has lots of overhead, including auto updates which break things compared with Linux and it is no coincidence that network streamers have Linux underneath. Linux can be tuned and optimised further with paid distributions such as Audio Linux and Euphony leading the way.

I use SnakeOil OS which is a stripped down Ubuntu with unnecessary bits removed. The author tries to make it easier for non technical users.

Messages In This Thread
From windows/jriver to linux/roon - by jbp - 09-Aug-2019, 11:36
RE: From windows/jriver to linux/roon - by ogs - 28-Aug-2019, 10:52
RE: From windows/jriver to linux/roon - by Snoopy8 - 19-Oct-2019, 07:42