Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From windows/jriver to linux/roon
I would like to share how happy I am with the move from windows / jriver to linux/ roon.

A few days ago I upgraded my windows 10 pro with several patches from Microsoft and also Jriver to the latest version. It went wrong and I started to have drops, noise, etc. I tried everything I remembered and even reinstalled windows, air and jriver. No success. I was doing something wrong ... but never found out what.

Then I decided to install linux Ubuntu 19.04 and roon. It was very simple and worked without any special settings. That was good, but the best was that the sound quality improved a lot, and I mean a lot. A jump in quality greater than the last hardware upgrade (the pro upgrade with the new board). I can’t stop listening Smile

With windows / jriver I used air and kernel streaming: I think no changes where made to the bytes sent to Devialet.
Now with linux / roon i am using air, not the RAAT. So in theory the same bytes are sent, using the same hardware. Well the result is very different.

I also tried RAAT but is I got tired a few minutes after.

The system is simple: proac 3.8, transparent super xl, Devialet 250 pro ic, aq cinnamon ethernet cable, fanless nuc like streamer from aliexpress, 512gb sdcard. Shunyata power cables and hydra.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
Very interesting for us JRMC devotees. I feel that SQ improved notably when I went from USB to DLNA streaming.

Most interesting though is your Win10 upgrade experience - - - - I think my media PC is in the process of undergoing the same upgrade. Fingers crossed!

You'll have to consider changing your Signature then.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
All OK. My JRiver (64-bit) is still working normally with latest Windows 10 updates.

Just wish I could get the latest Aeon working with it. Best 3D visualiser I've ever seen!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(09-Aug-2019, 11:36)jbp Wrote: Now with linux / roon i am using air, not the RAAT. So in theory the same bytes are sent, using the same hardware. Well the result is very different.

I have the same opinion on AIR vs RAAT. On my Linux install AIR is clearly better than RAAT. I notice we use the same amp. Possilbly related?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Many of my computer audio friends use JRiver ver 25

The consensus is that the audio from a MacBook running Mojave is better than Windows 10. Plus nothing breaks
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
Heart 
(09-Aug-2019, 11:36)jbp Wrote: I would like to share how happy I am with the move from windows / jriver to linux/ roon.

A few days ago I upgraded my windows 10 pro with several patches from Microsoft and also Jriver to the latest version. It went wrong and I started to have drops, noise, etc. I tried everything I remembered and even reinstalled windows, air and jriver. No success. I was doing something wrong ... but never found out what.

Then I decided to install linux Ubuntu 19.04 and roon. It was very simple and worked without any special settings. That was good, but the best was that the sound quality improved a lot, and I mean a lot. A jump in quality greater than the last hardware upgrade (the pro upgrade with the new board). I  can’t stop listening Smile
Win 10 has lots of overhead, including auto updates which break things compared with Linux and it is no coincidence that network streamers have Linux underneath. Linux can be tuned and optimised further with paid distributions such as Audio Linux and Euphony leading the way.

I use SnakeOil OS which is a stripped down Ubuntu with unnecessary bits removed. The author tries to make it easier for non technical users.