Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use Phantom Gold as front speakers in 11.2 home theater set up
(10-Sep-2019, 08:26)chaiwongwaiwit Wrote: Hello! I am from Thailand.  I have 3 Gold Phantoms, 2 Dialog boxes and 5 Reactors 600.  No dealers in Thailand seem to know how to set up the speakers except in streaming mode.  Can any one please advise me how to connect the 2 Gold Phantoms as front speakers in a surround set up?  My receiver has separate RCA outputs for each channel.

Questions for Phantom Gold:-

1.  Can I connect front right and left RCA outputs of the receiver to an Analog to Digital converter with one Toslink output, and then connect to the Dialog optical input and have it stream left and right channel sound to the Phantoms?  (The left and right channel sound have gone through the receiver's surround decoder with low frequency cut off set at 80Hz.)

2.  Or can I use 2 ADC's to convert the receiver's L and R channel separately, and connect the Toslink cables to each Phantom without using the Dialog at all? 

2.  If I can connect either way, will the sound level be matched to the rest of the system speakers?  ( I have 2 subs and 9 surround speakers and can set each speaker's level through white noise or Audyssey automatic set up.  Do I need line level amplification before connection to the ADC?

Questions for Reactor:-

1. Can I use RCA to 3.5mm cables to connect the receiver's RCA outputs directly to the Reactors as front left and right and center channel?  Again, will the sound level be matched with the rest of the surround system?

Finally, thank in advance for anyone who can advise me on this connection issue.  I love the sound of Devialet, but the set up to normal home theater system seems very confusing to an average user like me.

Best regards,
Chai

Chai, i read all your posts, and you are far from an 'average user'. I'd be surprised if i know half as much about audio and connecting stuff up like you are at 60 now vs when i'm 50 (in 12 years).

I have only just started in my audio journey in 2017. It's very addictive.
I have so far;
2 x phantom golds + dialog (TV speakers)
1 x classic phantom (from 2016, dining/kitchen listening)
2 x phantom reactor black 600w (PC speakers)
1 pair of KEF LSW50 (hooked up to chromecast audio, for reading my audio books)
1 naim mu-so 2nd gen (giving to my brother)
1 naim qube 2nd gen (will sell this soon)
2 x B&O beosound 2 (1 from 2017, the other new one is 2019 with Google Assistant)
1 x B&O beoplay A9 2nd gen (the satellite dish, haha. from 2017, no google voice assistant)
1 x B&O beoplay A9 4th gen (with GVA)

so far, the "best" sound to my ears, when watching TV sitting 3.7m away from screen, the oval shaped sweet spot of roughly 1.5m wide is with:
- phantom golds mounted on geckos 2.4m high and 3.9m apart (1.95m to L/R from the middle line of the TV)
- TV connects to 48port managed switch through ethernet cable (for streaming). both golds & dialog also connects directly to the switch.
- plug in a TOSlink splitter into the TV
- Connect the dialog via optical to splitter (dialog manages the golds for stereo)
- connect a DAC to the other side of splitter
- connect the RCA (red/white cable) to a Beoplay A9 which sits just below the TV
- both the phantoms & the A9 then have similar delay, which i then use the TV audio sync to compensate (~150-200ms)

The A9 seems to help the actors talk over the crispy bass of the Golds, and the slightly warmer bass of the A9 complements the Golds well as a center speaker. But it's the golds that really lend the UMPH factor to any movie we watch, its bass you can feel in your chest.

Thats my low tech way of 'brute forcing' the issue, but your posts have enriched this forum and i just wanted to thank you for listing all your steps clearly and showing your homework. This thread is bookmarked!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to use Phantom Gold as front speakers in 11.2 home theater set up - by winnoe - 08-Jan-2020, 07:02