Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT
Actually, on thinking back I have had a problem like the one you describe, ie being able to access Roon AIR but not Roon RAAT with my 140. It happened last year.

The problem wasn't an ethernet cable, rather it was an ethernet port which had stopped holding a cable firmly. What I found was that if I jiggled the cable plug in the port and got it realigned for a good connection, RAAT came back. I have no idea why a bad connection should cause a problem with RAAT and not w its AIR. The problem would occur if I moved the cable slightly or moved the device at either end of the cable slightly, causing the cable to move at the same time. The problem was intermittent and it took me a while to discover that it was cable movement that was the trigger and that the cable was held less securely in the port on the Nucleus+ than it was at the other end in the port at my switch.

The problem port was the ethernet port on my Nucleus+ which I ended up having sent back to the Australian distributor for a repair under warranty. It's worked fine since return.

So, suggestion:

1- try moving the cable that is now working at each end, basically a slight side to side movement. Does it move more easily or, rather, is it gripped less tightly, in the port on one device rather than the device at the other end? Does the same problem occur when you try this?

2- Whether or not the same problem occurs with the current cable, repeat that test with the problem cable. Do you find that movement of the ethernet plug in a socket in one device can make the difference between RAAT working and RAAT not working?

If you notice a difference with movement of the cable at the port with the problem cable, then it may be a problem with the port and that cable may simply be failing to secure itself firmly enough in the port. If you notice the problem with both cables with movement then I think it could definitely be a loose port.

Don't know why i didn't remember this before but I didn't. I held off sending the Nucleus+ back for repair for a while and tried to avoid anything that caused the cable to move but the ethernet cable involved was stiff and if I moved my amp, for example to swap an SD card to change configurations, that would move my switch and the movement of the switch moved the cable at the Nucleus+ port slightly and triggered the problem. Over time it started to get a bit worse and I eventually decided to bite the bullet and send the Nucleus+ in for repair.

So, I'd suggest checking how tight the cable is in the port at each end and, if it's looser in the port at one end than at the other end you may want to look at having the device at the looser end checked to see if the port is failing to grip the cable securely enough.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT - by David A - 12-Feb-2020, 04:05