Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon, Expert Pro, and a major issue with RAAT
Actually, on thinking back I have had a problem like the one you describe, ie being able to access Roon AIR but not Roon RAAT with my 140. It happened last year.

The problem wasn't an ethernet cable, rather it was an ethernet port which had stopped holding a cable firmly. What I found was that if I jiggled the cable plug in the port and got it realigned for a good connection, RAAT came back. I have no idea why a bad connection should cause a problem with RAAT and not w its AIR. The problem would occur if I moved the cable slightly or moved the device at either end of the cable slightly, causing the cable to move at the same time. The problem was intermittent and it took me a while to discover that it was cable movement that was the trigger and that the cable was held less securely in the port on the Nucleus+ than it was at the other end in the port at my switch.

The problem port was the ethernet port on my Nucleus+ which I ended up having sent back to the Australian distributor for a repair under warranty. It's worked fine since return.

So, suggestion:

1- try moving the cable that is now working at each end, basically a slight side to side movement. Does it move more easily or, rather, is it gripped less tightly, in the port on one device rather than the device at the other end? Does the same problem occur when you try this?

2- Whether or not the same problem occurs with the current cable, repeat that test with the problem cable. Do you find that movement of the ethernet plug in a socket in one device can make the difference between RAAT working and RAAT not working?

If you notice a difference with movement of the cable at the port with the problem cable, then it may be a problem with the port and that cable may simply be failing to secure itself firmly enough in the port. If you notice the problem with both cables with movement then I think it could definitely be a loose port.

Don't know why i didn't remember this before but I didn't. I held off sending the Nucleus+ back for repair for a while and tried to avoid anything that caused the cable to move but the ethernet cable involved was stiff and if I moved my amp, for example to swap an SD card to change configurations, that would move my switch and the movement of the switch moved the cable at the Nucleus+ port slightly and triggered the problem. Over time it started to get a bit worse and I eventually decided to bite the bullet and send the Nucleus+ in for repair.

So, I'd suggest checking how tight the cable is in the port at each end and, if it's looser in the port at one end than at the other end you may want to look at having the device at the looser end checked to see if the port is failing to grip the cable securely enough.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Interesting and highly plausible explanation of my problem as well.  But, how can AIR work but not RAAT?  Different types of buffering?  Less sensitivity to packet loss?  Based on John's comments on the Roon forum, "I can say with confidence that RAAT shouldn’t be affected by the ethernet cable as long as it is within-spec."   well, I suppose an intermittent connect cable would be out of spec.

I have tried your wiggle test but, alas, I can't reproduce the problem.   But that doesn't rule it out this past Sunday when the problem occurred.

I'm going to call the problem fixed for now.  I think the most enlightening thing I learned was that such a problem could occur after a Devialet firmware/OS update if playing RAAT before the 2nd reboot.  

What a strange little hobby we have ...
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(12-Feb-2020, 19:41)alaw Wrote: Guys, this is being over analyzed to the ridiculous. It’s a computer, they run of software written by humans, shit happens, a reset/reboot fixes it. Who cares about the exact path of failure? I‘m pretty certain the whole re-flash action was unnecessary, if it happens again, power cycle both units and move on...

You're right, it's a computer and using software written by humans. Shit does happen but a reset/reboot doesn't fix everything. Try telling that to someone who has big problems with the RAAT/gigabit connection bug who can reboot all they like and have the problem start up again when they start listening again, or to the families of those who were on the 737 Max planes which crashed.

Knowing the path of failure is important if you want to stop a recurring problem, and rebooting doesn't fix faulty software or hardware though it can solve some other problems which can occur. Asking questions when a problem occurs is a good idea, and learning whether the problem has affected others and whether there's a cure, a work around that avoids it, or whether it's a problem that has no remedy at present can potentially save you a lot of trouble over time.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(12-Feb-2020, 19:41)alaw Wrote: Guys, this is being over analyzed to the ridiculous. It’s a computer, they run of software written by humans, shit happens, a reset/reboot fixes it. Who cares about the exact path of failure? I‘m pretty certain the whole re-flash action was unnecessary, if it happens again, power cycle both units and move on...

All true, and I'm certain we've all resolved (yet not solved) many problems by rebooting.   But in this case the power cycle did not resolve the issue (perhaps two would have according to the post in the Roon forums).    

But sure, time to move on...
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
As with many on this forum, I have had the seemingly intractable issue with Ethernet and RAAT. I bought the EtherREGEN, partially on the hope that the 100 mbps port could solve the issue. That worked for awhile and then the problem returned. My last-ditch effort has proved effective for the past three days, which is an eternity in the world of this specific problem.

I did two things: 1) I went into the Devialet configurator and changed the Ethernet set-up from DHCP to a static IP address; and 2) I assigned my Devialet the same IP address as a fixed address in my router set-up. Note that others have tried the first step in the Devialet web set-up page. You apparently can't do this effectively, as each time the Devialet goes through its start-up progress it will revert to whatever the configuration file says.

With this set-up, I have had access to RAAT without any blips. In addition, the momentary buffering (that is, I would lose about 1 second of the song) that I used to get when quickly going from one song to another in Tidal (songs not in queue) has been eliminated. This works regardless of the format (CD-quality vs. higher resolutions).

One question I have not answered is whether this set-up would work equally well with gigabit connections. As I have a working solution right now, I am not going to experiment any more.

Good luck to those of you who try this method!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Hello, slowly I think that everything is possible.
A friend called me on the weekend that he suddenly had problems (1 year without problems) with Roon RAAT.
He described the following errors: Runs normally for some time, then charging problems and stuttering, HiRes Flacs stuttering or not charging. Since we are not far away I said to him take your devialet and the nucleus and come to me. We wired everything up and started with HiRes Flacs, no problems. Everything we tested ran normally, after 3 hours we stopped the test. What can cause the error? I then suspected his network / router, so I packed my router (FB 6591) and a switch and we drove to his home. I now connected the switch and router to the devialet and the nucleus, and lo and behold, the same error as before with his devices, now also occurred with my devicesäten. After a long debate, he suddenly said that he had asked his Internet provider to increase the bandwidth from 200 M / bit to 500 M / bit !! Are there timing problems with the ISP distribution points, or more workloads in the segments (500 M/Bit)? Everything else in the network telephone, TV, Internet, mail without problems.
Maybe that's why some of us have no problems with RAAT!
At the moment at a loss! Sad
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
@Flashman - are you saying that you were getting the same RAAT problems normally attributed to gigabit ethernet using your EtherRegen? If so, that is quite surprising and disappointing given the 100mbps EtherRegen output to your Devialet. I was intending to buy an EtherRegen in part to help solve this issue. The good news I guess, is that you may have saved me the price of one.

For what it's worth, I have my Devialet setup with a static IP but still get the RAAT problems at gigabit speed. But not at 100mbps speed.

@K4680 - Wow. I too was assuming that the reason some have had no problems was due to the router in use. Your case may have disproved that. But still... hard to imagine how the speed of the ISP connection might cause this... I still find it totally strange that 100mbps works while gigabit does not. That path leads to assuming a handshaking problem at the Devialet end. Now I'm just more confused than ever.

Still, using my trusty $10 gig-to-100mbps switch, all works well most of the time. I have seen the occasional pause or stutter - typically only at the start of a listening session- but I pretend I didn't so that I can just enjoy the music.
Durham, NC USA
(09-Mar-2020, 15:27)mdconnelly Wrote: @Flashman  - are you saying that you were getting the same RAAT problems normally attributed to gigabit ethernet using your EtherRegen?  If so, that is quite surprising and disappointing given the 100mbps EtherRegen output to your Devialet.  I was intending to buy an EtherRegen in part to help solve this issue.  The good news I guess, is that you may have saved me the price of one.

For what it's worth, I have my Devialet setup with a static IP but still get the RAAT problems at gigabit speed.  But not at 100mbps speed.
Yes, I had the handshake issue even with the 100 mbps port.  Weird!

When using the static IP, did you use the configurator and reserve the IP address on your router?
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(09-Mar-2020, 15:27)mdconnelly Wrote: @Flashman  - are you saying that you were getting the same RAAT problems normally attributed to gigabit ethernet using your EtherRegen?  If so, that is quite surprising and disappointing given the 100mbps EtherRegen output to your Devialet.  I was intending to buy an EtherRegen in part to help solve this issue.  The good news I guess, is that you may have saved me the price of one. (1)

For what it's worth, I have my Devialet setup with a static IP but still get the RAAT problems at gigabit speed.  But not at 100mbps speed. (2)

@K4680 - Wow.  I too was assuming that the reason some have had no problems was due to the router in use.  Your case may have disproved that.  But still... hard to imagine how the speed of the ISP connection might cause this... I still find it totally strange that 100mbps works while gigabit does not.  That path leads to assuming a handshaking problem at the Devialet end.  Now I'm just more confused than ever. 

Still, using my trusty $10 gig-to-100mbps switch, all works well most of the time.  I have seen the occasional pause or stutter - typically only at the start of a listening session- but I pretend I didn't so that I can just enjoy the music.

(1) I too am in the process of ordering the EtherREGEN to "kill the Roon-RAAT-Devialet issue " once for all BUT now I am thinking ...

(2) I use static IP but continue to get Roon-RAAT problems with both Gigabit and 100T.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
A few more words about what is currently working for me:
1) In the Devialet configurator, some people have suggested that creating a separate network mask for the Devialet works for them. The typical one, I believe, is <255.255.255.0>, which works fine for me. I also filled in the optional gateway and DNS boxes. On DNS, I used Cloudflare <1.1.1.1> but I suspect that my router, which uses the same DNS setting, takes priority. See the link below if you're interested in DNS by Cloudflare, which has been tested as the quickest.
2) In the configurator, I disabled WiFi. I'm pretty sure that doesn't affect the set-up but I went ahead and disabled it anyway.

If my solution ultimately fails, I'll let you know!

Cloudflare DNS: https://1.1.1.1/dns/#explanation