Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silvers and Dos2 migration - idiot needs advice
Hi Kboley_UK

No problem with changing topic - I had already done this with you by asking about radio stations Smile

Here are my (quite possibly misinformed) opinions!

I don't know about actual CD's but the Phantoms support FLAC up to 24/192 so you will be fine with these audio files. However you are right that Airplay/Bluetooth will downsample these files - in the case of Airplay to 16/44.

You can only play 24/192 files - (the maximum the Phantoms support) two ways.
1. via toslink optical cable - which requires additional hardware
2. via UPNP - which requires a UPNP server

UPNP is the way I went - its the simplest and most convenient IMHO. Either way you will need additional hardware.

You need three components to play via UPNP - a upnp server, a control device (remote app), an output device (eg speaker).
1. The UPNP server can be your network hard drive - make sure it supports UPNP software if its a stand alone product. This software is generally free or low cost - do you have a network drive in mind? eg Synology, Buffalo. You can of course use a Windows 10 PC or laptop but this will need to be on in order to stream music. I use a small Acer PC running Windows 10 as I use it for other things than just streaming music.
2. An App such as Mconnect to select music tracks from the UPNP server. This app will also let you select the output device (Phantom).
3. The speaker - Phantom.

When you select a track using the app, the server will transfer the file to the Phantoms which will then play it. Whether this will work over WIFI will depend on how good your WIFI connection is and how well the Phantoms communicate with each other.

I've never had any problems with WIFI only connections but if they occur then connecting each Phantom to your network router with ethernet cable should fix this.

I hope this makes sense!

kantblue

PS - though its a shameless plug for Cambridge Audio products there is some useful information about UPNP players here:
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/what-upnp

Messages In This Thread
RE: Silvers and Dos2 migration - idiot needs advice - by kantblue - 13-Feb-2020, 18:56