Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 220 Pro CI - Sub or no Sub
Seeking advice for possible changes to my system configuration... 

I've enjoyed my Ensemble (120 + Atohm GT1) for several years as we lived in a relatively small NYC apartment, mostly using it to play vinyls and as speaker for our TV (through an optic fibre connection). On many occasions and for both applications, we've been very impressed by the sound that the Ensemble would deliver.

Moved back to France into a larger apartment and upgraded to a 220 Pro w/ CI, still driving the mighty little Atohm GT1s. The system ended up in our living room, which is somewhat pentagonal and has lots of openings (open kitchen...)... clearly not optimal, and offering little flexibility...

The amp is also connected to an AV amp in a 5.0 setup, driving the 2 main front speakers (the GT1s). Primary AV applications are watching cable TV/movies on our video projector (we have no TV) and video gaming (Xbox)

I've been struggling to get the wow factor out of the Ensemble that we used to get in our previous place, trying a few things with limited success:
  • evaluated higher-end power cables, with strictly no perceived difference
  • moved the speakers and tried slight orientation changes - which probably had the most significant effect on the soundstage 
  • tried different SAM settings, with very few differences perceived - this came as a surprised as I recalled having been particularly impressed the first time I activated SAM (years ago, on the 120 and in the previous apartment).

I'm now wondering about adding a sub (which I originally didn't considered out of a concern for other tenants of our old building - a concern not so relevant in our new place), and more specifically one of the 2 offered by Atohm, but I'm really unsure as of whether it's worth it.

Considering that my system is used in what I feel is a suboptimal room, and considering the effects of SAM and the performance of the GT1, what's your take? I'm not seeking to get massive bass, but to get a fuller sound. Would a sub be of any value, and if so, what value?

As always, your educated input will be much appreciated!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro (upgraded from 120) + Atohm GT1 + Clearaudio Concept Wood (MM) - now back in Paris, France

Messages In This Thread
Expert 220 Pro CI - Sub or no Sub - by ArnoNYC - 06-Mar-2022, 17:53
RE: Expert 220 Pro CI - Sub or no Sub - by Pim - 07-Mar-2022, 10:58