Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Expert Pro sound quality
(19-Nov-2016, 11:15)f1eng Wrote: Timbre can be (actually is) added/changed by an amplifier having a sufficient level of euphonic distortion
A 3D effect can be added by increasing the background noise (at levels not directly audible) particularly if the noise is signal correlated.

I know this from experiments carried out a long time ago to research why LPs sounded so nice despite the technical weaknesses of the mastering, manufacturing and replay processes.

Many amplifiers, particularly those using transformers and/or low feedback add audible amounts of extra overtones which may make an instrument sound more pleasant to some even if not true to the microphone pickup.

Or one makes the electronics better to lower distortion and noise, in effect to let it get out of the way more to let more of the original source to come through. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
istead of upgrading, I changed the cd-player,using now a C.E.C. tl-5. i have to rehear all mc cd's, a really winning step.
(19-Nov-2016, 13:51)Antoine Wrote: ...
Let me start by saying I haven't noticed the edgy hight/brightness that some reported, rather the opposite.

It sounded great from the box and I would be happy even if it stayed like this but if things do improve due to 'burn in' effects, well I of course wouldn't mind that! Wink To be continued!

Hey Antoine,

happy for you that your 250 gained in performance by upgrading to PRO. But I have to say I expected nothing less than that. I think it will get more precise while burning-in and will show you the edges just so nicely if there were in your music  Wink

And you're quite validating my theory that owners of a new PRO who listen with a 'jitterless' source connected to the PRO experience pure bliss with the sound and no edginess or whatsoever.

The source is the significant point to look at when your PRO does not sound to your satisfaction.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
Thanks Gui! This afternoon I've started listening again and I am really impressed and can only say: well done Devialet!!

I listened to Ane Brun's 'Rarities' album for example (CD rip) and it sounds really beautiful, better than I ever heard it before. It's a good recording/production and what I clearly noticed here for example is that there is much more information coming through, so transparency increased, especially in the upper mids and treble. It was really engaging and 'emotion provoking' and thus more real. I can easily imagine that any unwanted noise or distortion that became part of the signal earlier in the chain would also become more clear so I agree with your theory in full.

Besides the best source one can get, proper component isolation, clean AC power plus earthing and noise prevention (noise getting into the sensitive DAC) in general I think is mandatory, as always, to get the best out of ones system. (Room acoustics and listening position/loudspeaker placement is one big other part of course but that's less relevant now in this context of the new Pro)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(19-Nov-2016, 16:00)dasrotehaus Wrote: istead of upgrading, I changed the cd-player,using now a C.E.C. tl-5. i have to rehear all mc cd's, a really winning step.

What kind of COAXIAL cable You are using?
I would like to know if anyone has heard "clicks", from time to time, when playing from Spotify or Tidal with a D220 Pro. That did not happen before updating being D200. When I reproduce from JRiver it works well. I use a laptop with Windows 10 and AIR 3.0 beta
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
Sounds like a networking or AIR compatibility issue unrelated to the new Pro platform. Respectfully; it's off topic here in this topic which is about the Pro's sound quality, not streaming issues.

The Netherlands
(20-Nov-2016, 20:46)Antoine Wrote: Sounds like a networking or AIR compatibility issue unrelated to the new Pro platform. Respectfully; it's off topic here in this topic which is about the Pro's sound quality, not streaming issues.

Thanks Antoine, change to Streaming forum
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
Reading Antoine's take on a brand new Pro really brings out the difference between what people hear from their Pro. A Pro fed with a good signal sounds better on ALL music, not just the well recorded stuff.

Makes me want to go out and buy a bunch of tweaking stuff  Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(20-Nov-2016, 21:29)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Big Grin Reading Antoine's take on a brand new Pro really brings out the difference between what people hear from their Pro. A Pro fed with a good signal sounds better on ALL music, not just the well recorded stuff.

Makes me want to go out and buy a bunch of tweaking stuff  Smile

I already have the Mutec on my shopping list  Big Grin  The microRendu is in place since summer and I'll probably buy a LPS-1 for it. I do not yet know if the SMPS in the Mutec will be changed - and then there is the binding post mod Dodgy
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB