Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Expert Pro sound quality
Better bass, more details and bigger soundstage is the proof that Devialet is doing everything right. For me the sound of the 1000pro is much more realistic and natural than the sound of my 800 before.
(18-Nov-2016, 20:30)Vivialet Wrote: Better bass, more details and bigger soundstage is the proof that Devialet is doing everything right.

All these You can get just by using DSP Equalizer.

But there is no equalizer tricks when You need natural timbres of voices and acoustic instruments...
yes, maybe. But Devialet is not using an EQ. I have measured the frequency response of my speakers with the 800 and now with the 1000pro. No visible change. So no EQ. Any DSP would be measurable in a test which will be done sooner or later.
(18-Nov-2016, 22:34)moreno1973 Wrote:
(18-Nov-2016, 20:30)Vivialet Wrote: Better bass, more details and bigger soundstage is the proof that Devialet is doing everything right.

All these You can get just by using DSP Equalizer.

But there is no equalizer tricks when You need natural timbres of voices and acoustic instruments...

You can not get more details with a DSP. How should that work. You can only trick.

I have to audition a PRO first but I can imagine by what I read that it seems to sound more open/transparent.
If a system is more transparent it reacts to interferiences of different origin more easily. Thus some experience better/more natural sound having less interferiences than others. The same with firmware.

gui
"Oh, you can buy the other. But then it is a cost intensive learning process"
berlin
(18-Nov-2016, 23:42)Vivialet Wrote: yes, maybe. But Devialet is not using an EQ. I have measured the frequency response of my speakers with the 800 and now with the 1000pro. No visible change. So no EQ. Any DSP would be measurable in a test which will be done sooner or later.

Devialet are definitely using DSP. Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Timbre can be (actually is) added/changed by an amplifier having a sufficient level of euphonic distortion
A 3D effect can be added by increasing the background noise (at levels not directly audible) particularly if the noise is signal correlated.

I know this from experiments carried out a long time ago to research why LPs sounded so nice despite the technical weaknesses of the mastering, manufacturing and replay processes.

Many amplifiers, particularly those using transformers and/or low feedback add audible amounts of extra overtones which may make an instrument sound more pleasant to some even if not true to the microphone pickup.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(19-Nov-2016, 11:15)f1eng Wrote: Timbre can be (actually is) added/changed by an amplifier having a sufficient level of euphonic distortion
A 3D effect can be added by increasing the background noise (at levels not directly audible) particularly if the noise is signal correlated.

I know this from experiments carried out a long time ago to research why LPs sounded so nice despite the technical weaknesses of the mastering, manufacturing and replay processes.

Many amplifiers, particularly those using transformers and/or low feedback add audible amounts of extra overtones which may make an instrument sound more pleasant to some even if not true to the microphone pickup.

Yet many are saying timbre and soundstage is much improved with the new PRO series. In fact when I got my O d'A (not quite a PRO but almost!) it struck me quite how much more real instruments sounded so presumably there are other forces at play here (assuming that it isn't all placebo effect, in which case even Devialet are duping us now!).

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(16-Nov-2016, 17:50)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If you like firmware flexibility to 'tune' then yeah, we're a bit scuppered on the pros. At least for a while.

Hifi purists would probably disagree, but I actually wish they gave options with obvious sound differences - warm, vinyl, 'clubby' or whatever, and of course no effect. I know there are filters etc available elsewhere but it's an amp with incredible DSP - why not throw a few features out there to utilise it?

My Metric Halo MIO2 and LIO8 recorders have plug-ins included to simulate a wide range of things, from a range of valve amps (mainly to simulate typical pro amps) and lots of others. Funnily enough the most popular with many is a plugin which simulates the tape saturation characteristics of a reel-to-reel tape recorder!

Since I can use one as a firewire>AES converter I can use these plugins if I choose to stream music if I wish.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(19-Nov-2016, 11:20)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Nov-2016, 11:15)f1eng Wrote: Timbre can be (actually is) added/changed by an amplifier having a sufficient level of euphonic distortion

Yet many are saying timbre and soundstage is much improved with the new PRO series. In fact when I got my O d'A (not quite a PRO but almost!) it struck me quite how much more real instruments sounded so presumably there are other forces at play here (assuming that it isn't all placebo effect, in which case even Devialet are duping us now!).

Guillaume

I did not notice a massive difference between my 800 and O d'A just subtly but noticeably better, which was a bonus for me since I only bought it for the colour Wink
Oxfordshire

Cross posting from my system topic (http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid52939) here:

---
These are my very first impressions. I've listened to my system for about five hours (all evening) directly after powering it up. Smile

Let me start by saying I haven't noticed the edgy hight/brightness that some reported, rather the opposite.

More natural highs, rich cymbal sound, decaying beautifully
Warmer, more fleshed out/richer upper bass and mids
Cleaner (NOT more analytical but less distortion/noise) presentation and detailing, better microdynamics
Better separation (more air) and better soundstaging.

Old lifeless (eg. 80's pop albums) are much more enjoyable now.

I almost never listen without sub but use the button on my remote now and then to to switch between 2.0 and 2.1 and test sub performance. The difference between sub on and off grew smaller, although 2.1 is still way superior in my room/system which is of course tuned to having the sub in the system.

The system has played all night so I will continue enjoying it later today and tomorrow. Free weekend so I have all the time! Smile

It sounded great from the box and I would be happy even if it stayed like this but if things do improve due to 'burn in' effects, well I of course wouldn't mind that! Wink To be continued!
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands