Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(14-Jan-2018, 11:54)midi Wrote: Question for all Mutec MC3+ USB owners:

Would it be possible:

MacMini  -  USB  -  Mutec MC3+USB  -  AES  -  2200PRO CI

and

MacMini - USB -  Mutec MC3+USB - Toslink  - Dialog (to the Phantoms)

all controlled by Audirvana on the Mac Mini and Audirvana+ on the iOS devices ?

How could I easily switch on the Mutec between AES and Toslink output (between the Expert and the Phantoms) ?

Do you think I would get a real improvement with the Mutec on both systems (Expert and Phantoms) ?

Thanks !

This should work I think.  The Mutec has both AES/EBU and Toslink outputs, I do not think you need to switch between the two, the Mutec simply outputs to both.  I have never tried the Toslink output on mine though.  Many have reported that the Mutec works well with both the Expert and the Pro, it remains my preferred way of listening to my 1000Pro, I am actually listening to it as I write this!  As to how a Mutec would perform with a Phantom, I have no idea.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Mmmh. Multiroom time synced would be a dream.

But to be honest: This wasn´t my claim. I would be happy If I could switch from the Expert to the Phantoms without to much efforts.

I have still some doubts if a Mutec or an other additional device for a lot of Euros like this is really more than placebo effect (and in a blind test between such a solution and AIR not recognizable).

The longer a think about it, the more I think SQ isn´t the primary argument to buy a further device. Stability and usability seems to be more important.

So the best solution under all aspects would be, Devialet would offer a stable new "all in one" UpnP/AIR-app for both systems - streaming the library from a NAS, TIDAL, Qobuz etc integrated. As I have heard they are working on something like that. We all know that can take a long time...

Under this aspect a device like the INNUOS provides a residual added value. It seems not only to improve the SQ and the stability (via USB), but it also brings benefits in the management of the library. The problem is: you need another app (iPeng) to control this device. No idea if Devialet will ever develop an app for. But Devialet is offering the INNUOS devices in bundles. So it seems that Devialet considers this a suitable solution.

Confusing...
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(14-Jan-2018, 20:38)midi Wrote: I have still some doubts if a Mutec or an other additional device for a lot of Euros like this is really more than placebo effect (and in a blind test between such a solution and AIR not recognizable).

The longer a think about it, the more I think SQ isn´t the primary argument to buy a further device. Stability and usability seems to be more important.

Seriously?? Why do you have a Devialet? A €20 blue tooth speaker is more reliable and in your opinion it will sound the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(14-Jan-2018, 23:47)zdenes Wrote:
(14-Jan-2018, 20:38)midi Wrote: I have still some doubts if a Mutec or an other additional device for a lot of Euros like this is really more than placebo effect (and in a blind test between such a solution and AIR not recognizable).

Seriously?? Why do you have a Devialet? A €20 blue tooth speaker is more reliable and in your opinion it will sound the same.

Unnecessary comment. Apparently you did not understand what I mean. The Expert with AIR/ROON AIR has a really good SQ. The question is, if it is really worth to buy a further device (reclocker etc) for a lot of money and other disadvantages (usability) for a supposed sound improvement which is even discussed dispute in many threads here and in other forums.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(14-Jan-2018, 23:57)midi Wrote:
(14-Jan-2018, 23:47)zdenes Wrote:

Unnecessary comment. Apparently you did not understand what I mean. The Expert with AIR/ROON AIR has a really good SQ. The question is, if it is really worth to buy a further device (reclocker etc) for a lot of money?
The answer is yes. I’ve been a Devialet owner for 7 years now and I’ve done the upgrade to D250 and to D800 then. Did streaming for 5 years with them. (Will not go into detail about the 20+ years before that). The streamer board is better but adding the Mutec (MC3+usb and the Ref10) is day and night. Now you are saying that we added a device because of placebo effect. Saying that fellow audiophiles as most of us in this thread spent thousands of bucks, quid or euro for merely placebo effect is simply rude.

Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
I have been testing USB and Ethernet on the CI board using my Melco N1A. The connection is direct in both cases using Audioquest diamond usb and diamond Ethernet cables respectively. The clear winner is Ethernet by a fair margin. Knowing that Melco spent considerable effort to make the Ethernet port as the preferred output on the unit it only goes to show that the source clearly still matters. I think Devialet still has to work on the USB input but as things stand it’s clearly an inferior input choice. Using the Mutec MC-3+ USB to go from USB to AES would be a prudent choice.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
Hi @midi Have you used a Mutec in your system? Statements like "for a supposed sound improvement which is even discussed dispute in many threads here and in other forums" indicate that you have not. Yes, the Mutec has a price and I understand that many will not use the extra money, but the improvement with the Mutec is real and can not be talked away by those who do not own one. Roon's AIR does sound good, but the Mutec makes it sound much better. I don't (yet) have a REF10 as @zdenes does but the MC3 alone is extremely good. If, after hearing what a MC3 does, someone still says there is no real difference has a serious problem.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Another point of view here: being the starter of this thread, I am the happy owner of a Mutec MC-3+ USB + Ref-10 on both my systems and I have to say that I enjoy these devices very much. But I would also like to point out that not everybody is sensitive to the improvements brought by these devices to the systems. It very much depends, like in every field which is in connection with our senses, to our personal expectations.

I noticed that very skilled musicians who visited me were much more sensitive to the transparency/tonal correctness of my system than they were to the time coherence of the signal. The Mutec MC-3+USB and its further improvement the Ref-10, will bring time coherence, ie a much better sound stage, a much better separation between the tones, as well as an much improved macro dynamic (realism of restitution), and micro-dynamic (vector of emotions/realism).

You can be very skilled/interested in music, but not have developed the skills which would allow you to benefit from these devices.

So at the end of the day, your appreciation of these devices will very much depend on your utility function: ie what you are looking for when listening to music.

A last word on the implementation of the MC-3+ USB. The best way to implement this device is, IMHO, to follow into the steps of @Antoine on this forum who has developed a very wise way of doing this: a very good LPSU, a network reader, a modification to the MC-3+ USB in order to power it through the LPSU, aso... At this price, you will get incredible results Wink
@SwissBear, ogs

Thanks for your answers, which are helpful. I understand that you are really satisfied with the sound quality improvement and you would recommend to buy one.

Sorry for my English, when I see the answers from zdenes it seems that my question could be missunderstood.

I just wanted arguments for or against a purchase decision.

If you read the Innuos arguments on the other thread, you can see that there are absolutely different views, which technical way is the right one to get the best improvement.

For example you can also see that here are different views, which input (USB/AES/ethernet) is the best one (before an after the CI upgrade).

And if you have to decide to put money in a further device, there are different views, in which device should be invested first (for example: see the DAR Innuos review) to get the most improvement for the money.

So another attempt to explain what I mean:

If you give maximum 100 points for the SQ and maxium 100 points for the rest, like usability, functionality, stability etc. and you give the „stand alone AIR“ Expert 90 points for SQ (for example) and 75 points for the rest, do you reach 95 or 99 points which a further device in SQ and what do you have to invest for this 5 or 10 points in relation ? And do you improve with a further device the 75 points or do you reduce this, because normaly each further device makes it more complicated and error-prone. Finally, you have to balance both aspects (for me SQ is important, but not the only aspect, everyone can have their own point of view).

I hope that clarifies my thoughts to find a decision (for the moment I think an INNUOS combinated with a MUTEC could be a real improvement under all aspects).
After the CI upgrade both USB and Ethernet have been reported to have issues. That is not the case with AES/EBU and Coaxial SPDIF. I think there will be many who would want a quick fix, and not have the patience for Devialet to get round fixing the issues. I have been fighting with myself to buy a Mutec MC-3+ USB but can’t really justify the expense. I have been very happy with Ethernet/ UPnP only problem is that currently it only work till 24/96. I will wait for Devialet to come through with a fix soon hopefully by April we should have a pretty stable platform. However if the master word clock is on the Core Infinity board then I question the use of using sources with their own clocks as they would be only working in slave mode. Maybe someone can educate me on this particular issue.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.