Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here
(24-Jul-2018, 17:32)TheFactsOfLife Wrote: Lot of different speakers/combinations here, i'm looking to try some new speakers, although i love the Beonicks they can become a bit bright and deep bass just don't happen. I still prefer my Kef reference 203 mk 2's in meny ways, but the wife loves the compact size of the Beonicks,she dosn't listen to the music, it's all about looks.
So before rushing out whats peoples thoughts on using something like Rel sub woofers , i could place a table clothe over them and pass them as side tables.
Being serious do meny of you use subs?

You said that the Boenickes can become a bit bright. Your perception of brightness can change if the bass changes so I'd try playing a bit with speaker placement to get a bit more bass support and perhaps a slight boost to the bass using the Devialet's bass control. That could change your perceptions and opinion of the Boenickes and it will cost you nothing but a bit of time experimenting. Any improvement you get with better speaker placement is likely to help down the track if you decide to stick with the Boenickes and just add a sub so I think that is where you should start.

Subs bring the problems of placement, of setup, and of cost which can mount fast if you want a sub to go really low. Size increases fast if you want low extension also. Because of the way rooms work acoustically at low frequencies you can usually get better results using 2 or 3 identical subs rather than 1 single sub and that compounds those problems. A sub or subs  can definitely make an improvement but depending on your speakers, your room, your choice of music, and how well you do the setup you may not be able to get a big improvement and with bad setup you can even make things worse. I'm not against adding subs but I do think it's best to see what you can do with what you've already got before you go down that route. There are often improvements you can make with speaker placement or using a bit of bass boost which can help a lot and which may even make enough of a difference to satisfy you. Depending on the room and what results you can achieve that way, using physical bass traps to acoustically treat the room may also help a lot.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Messages In This Thread
RE: List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here - by MIKE - 10-Feb-2018, 16:25
RE: List Your Speakers and Devialet Model Here - by David A - 24-Jul-2018, 23:37