Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connection for Surround Sound, Multiple Inputs?
(17-Jun-2015, 08:27)fgueho Wrote:
(16-Jun-2015, 20:09)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I guess this is probably old news but Devialet did confirm yesterday at a training event that they are working on updating Dialog and Phantom to decode DTS and DD to offer a 5.0 setup, I guess even 7.0 will be possible, that would be a pretty serious wireless movie system I have to say.

And what about the 200ms delay in the update?

Okay, you can overcome this delay with a PCHC, but not with a bluray player, a gaming console or a TV.
I know. I've tried.
Paul @ HiFi Lounge: When they mentioned DTS and DD, did they mean non-HD audio?
Thanks.
I've asked Devialet support, but haven't gotten a reply.
(23-Jul-2015, 18:31)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(16-Jun-2015, 20:09)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I guess this is probably old news but Devialet did confirm yesterday at a training event that they are working on updating Dialog and Phantom to decode DTS and DD to offer a 5.0 setup, I guess even 7.0 will be possible, that would be a pretty serious wireless movie system I have to say.

Okay, you can overcome this delay with a PCHC, but not with a bluray player, a gaming console or a TV.
I know. I've tried.
Thanks.

non-HD yes, confirmed by a senior Devialet engineer. I believe there is insufficient bandwidth capability in an optical link for HD surround.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(23-Jul-2015, 18:37)f1eng Wrote:
(23-Jul-2015, 18:31)Dvlt PhD Wrote:

I know. I've tried.
Thanks.

non-HD yes, confirmed by a senior Devialet engineer. I believe there is insufficient bandwidth capability in an optical link for HD surround.

Thanks, f1eng Smile
F1eng is quite right, Toslink is not able to transfer HD surround formats. However, when I spoke to the Devialet engineer at OAC, the reason he mentioned for non HD surround support was licencing costs. Thinking about this though, you need some method of getting HD surround to the Dialog, and without an HDMI or SPDIF input, you are just left with the optical input, so irrespective of the licencing issues, I can't think how this can be done anyway.

EDIT - My little Brain is now inventing a 7.1 TrueHD version of Devialet AIR, might be a little tricky to implement though ......
(24-Jul-2015, 21:04)Confused Wrote: F1eng is quite right, Toslink is not able to transfer HD surround formats.  However, when I spoke to the Devialet engineer at OAC, the reason he mentioned for non HD surround support was licencing costs.  Thinking about this though, you need some method of getting HD surround to the Dialog, and without an HDMI or SPDIF input, you are just left with the optical input, so irrespective of the licencing issues, I can't think how this can be done anyway.

EDIT - My little Brain is now inventing a 7.1 TrueHD version of Devialet AIR, might be a little tricky to implement though ......

Thanks, Confused.

So, what happens if you attempt to play HD audio through Toslink? Does any audio come out from the Phantoms?
Cant they just come with a new Dialog that has hdmi?
(25-Jul-2015, 02:18)mixart Wrote: Cant they just come with a new Dialog that has hdmi?

They shouldn't have to. I don't think they've thought through this thing at all.

But maybe they have a cunning plan.

Or not.
If you have oppo 93/103, there is a mod piece called vanityHD, which can output 8 channels as 4pair coax digital. That may be a way. I am considering this myself.
Hi guys,

The thread is really interesting. I was wondering if something new went from devialet about this "surround-HC" setup capabilities of a dialog box.

I'm really considering to replace all my old stuff by a set of 4 to 5 phantoms to have a nice HI-fi/Home cinema kit at home.
But I'm more than doubtful about the strategy of devialet here.

Cheers