Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible new competitor to the 800?
(18-Aug-2015, 14:07)GuillaumeB Wrote: This new integrated amplifier from Gryphon has caught my interest. 

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/int...o-300.aspx

I particularly like the power rating in a single chassis architecture: 300W x 2 into 8 Ohms, 600W x 2 into 6 Ohms and a massive 950W x 2 into 2 Ohms! With a capacitor bank of 64,000 microfarads per channel it shouldn't have too much trouble driving pretty much any speakers out there.

The price point is interesting: €12,800 for the basic integrated amplifier and €4,800 for the DAC module which is supposedly based on their Kalliope DAC design, with support for PCM up to 32/384 and DSD x2 via USB and PCM 24/192 via AES, optical or RCA. There is also an MM/MC phono stage which sells for €4,800. If you just went for the DAC that would make it quite a bit cheaper than the 800 which retails at €22,900. 

Given Gryphon's high-end audiophile pedigree my guess is that this will sound very good indeed and should be worth a listen. The specs certainly look very good.

I understand the first two production runs have completely sold out and the first units are shipping in September.

Guillaume

Getting itchy feet  Tongue.

But if you also factor in the MM/MC stage as well as the DAC (both of which are already included the 800 x 2, if you use both Master and Companion inputs) and factor in VAT, then the Gryphon is a lot more expensive Confused.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible new competitor to the 800? - by brit - 18-Aug-2015, 18:50