Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phase and low frequency checks
I tried the 21Hz test tone this morning. In fact, today was a good day to try this because for other reasons I was planning to switch from 7.1.3 SAM V1 back to 8.1.3 SAM V2, I will report on this further in the SAM V2 thread.

Anyway, when I first tried the 21Hz tone on SAM V1, it ran at a constant tone, but would occasionally, and randomly, produce a very strange effect where the tone ceased to be smooth and the volume peaked upwards and then maybe dropped slightly / momentarily. Very hard to describe, but not a smooth tone. With SAM off, smooth a bass tone, but lower volume, as you might expect. Now here is a curious thing, when trying the SAM on / off routine, I accidentally turned the amps off by hitting the wrong button. After the amps restarted, I could run the 21Hz tone with either SAM on or off and every was exactly as it should be, smooth constant bass with SAM 100%, the only real issue was things in my room vibrating a bit! Why turning the amp on and off made this difference is a mystery. My theory? Maybe there is some kind of protection system built into the amps that may in part react to temperatures, so may have responded to the amps being off momentarily. This is perhaps a bad theory, as prior to these tests I had being playing music a very modest levels, so the amps would not have been that hot anyway. OK, so I haven't really got a clue! It may just remain one of those Devialet mysteries.

Reverting back to SAM to 8.1.3 SAM V2, the 21Hz tone ran perfectly with SAM 100%, SAM off or whatever, it just worked as it should. I also tried 18Hz, this too worked fine, but made me feel slightly unwell.

Reading back through @Axel's post re the 21Hz test, what I experienced with the SAM 1 test may possibly be similar to as described by Axel. A curious one this.

Messages In This Thread
Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 26-Sep-2015, 16:51
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by f1eng - 26-Sep-2015, 17:00
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 27-Sep-2015, 12:22
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 26-Sep-2015, 17:19
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 26-Sep-2015, 18:45
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Confused - 27-Sep-2015, 12:22
RE: Phase and low frequency checks - by Axel - 27-Sep-2015, 16:26