Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sonore Streamers
(03-Dec-2016, 22:21)samsoum Wrote:
(03-Dec-2016, 22:16)mdconnelly Wrote: Great information.  Thank you Confused!

Any chance you've compared using the microRendu/LPS-1 combo against the latest AIR 3.0.1 beta?   I currently have the uRendu (with iFi PS) and find that AIR 3.0.1 beta (the only one that has worked well for me) is just as good.   What I'd love to know is if the uRendu/LPS-1 combo is then even better than than AIR.

I m very interesred as well to know that!
Thks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, it's Friday and I have some spare time at home as I am busily using up what's left of my 2016 annual vacation.  So, some time to try AIR versus microRemdu/LPS-1.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference to sound quality, but AIR 3.0.2 RC is available now, so I loaded this up for the test.  I must admit, this was a bit of a tough test!  I did end up doing quite a bit of switching backwards and forwards between AIR and the mR, so it is safe to say that any differences are quite small.  Although I have reached what I think are some very interesting conclusions.  First to say that after much listening, it is a victory for the mR/LPS-1 combination, and a total victory, that is I found it preferable in all areas.  That said, the differences are very small, I think if I had to blind test now and announce which was AIR and which was the mR/LPS-1 I would struggle.  Having said that, the reason I find this particularly interesting is that this is not the conclusion I reached last time I tried an AIR vs mR test, that time with the ifi and the D800.  That time the final conclusion was that the mR was best at abouve about 200Hz, but AIR had slightly better and more accurate bass.  This time I found the bass to be better with the mR also.  So is this LPS-1 at work?  Well it helps, but the bass via the mR direct to USB is still pretty good trying the ifi back providing the power.  Now I think this is quite a claim, but from what I am hearing I can only conclude that the USB implementation in the Pro is better, quite a bit better!  So now I am thinking back over the year, trying the Melco N1Z, CAD CAT and others via USB, and although these were mighty in same areas, the slight loss of bass accuracy had me gaining a definite preference to things like the Aurender N10/W20 that could feed the Devialet via AES/EBU.  Would the hierarchy of these machines be the same tried with the Pro?  I am thinking maybe not.  Having completed the AIR versus mR/LPS-1 trial, I then reinstated the Mutec and ran through some of the tracks again.  This was bliss!  The m/R Mutec combination still does it for me.  Again this was interesting, previously I found that versus USB the AES/EBU input with the Mutec provided better bass, but there did seam to be a bit more bass via USB, now the Mutec still triumphs with bass performance, but the previous difference of more bass via USB appears to have gone, now they appear to be roughly the same.  Everything seams a little different in the Pro era.  One comment on the 1000 Pro itself, one think I had not picked up during my back to back audition of the 1000 Pro versus the D800 was any significant difference in bass performance.  Having lived with the Pro for a while I am now discovering that the bass slam and power with some music is utterly staggering, the more time I spend with the Pro the more I realise that it is a genuine class up from the old expert.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The USB implementation in itself didn't change (yet) in the Pro. The same DUET boards are fitted so any differences must come from secondary changes like changes on the mainboard PCB routing or improved AC isolation/decoupling. Another possibility is that you have a DUET board now that has slightly better components, clocks for example do each show different performance numbers if you'd measure and compare them (within a certain spec range/bandwidth of course).
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(09-Dec-2016, 16:30)Antoine Wrote: The USB implementation in itself didn't change (yet) in the Pro. The same DUET boards are fitted so any differences must come from secondary changes like changes on the mainboard PCB routing or improved AC isolation/decoupling. Another possibility is that you have a DUET board now that has slightly better components, clocks for example do each show different performance numbers if you'd measure and compare them (within a certain spec range/bandwidth of course).

Interesting.  I have to say that the bass issues I noticed with the mR and Melco via USB were far less apparent with the CAD CAT, which was running a separate LPSU and CAD's 'Ground Control' box.  I am as sure as I can be that the USB implementation in the Pro is different, so my money is on some kind of improvement in isolation.  Although thankfully I do not have to worry to much about this, I have nothing whatsoever connected via USB!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Just got a microRendu today -- IFi power supply until the LPS is back in stock. Running Roon Server on my Antipodes and the Sonore Roon Ready in another room. Very impressive! Looking forward to hearing it with a better power supply. Sounds great as is.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Darkos review of the microRendu.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/0...io-higher/

[Image: sonore-microrendu_6-758x426.png]
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

After using AIR3 beta for a long time I have tried the MicroRendu with standard power supply for some days and compared it with AIR3.
Both sounds good in my ears. MicroRendu a little bit more relaxed, AIR little more dynamics and kick. But small differences. With MicroRendu also USB-cabel matters.
In my opinion MicroRendu is very good for its price, but AIR is is still my choice. Maybe try some better ethernetcables?
After I updated my MacMini to Sierra some months ago AIR have worked perfect:-)
Devaliet 220ProCI. Audio Physic Avanti III. Kvålsvoll Design Subwoofer 110. SmallGreenComputer with Roon core. Cables from Synergistic Reaserch, LessLoss, Wireworld and more
The LPS power supply makes a big difference -- more of everything that's good. Does anyone understand why a power supply would have a large effect on a digital streamer?
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Some news from Computer Audiophile:

The Sonicorbiter 2.3 operating system utilized on the microRendu is approaching the end of it's development cycle. This means that we will continue to maintain the operating system for general functionality only. However, we will no longer provide application updates and new features going forward. There is not need to update to the next version right away, but we recommend that you consider it at some point in the near future.

In order to better serve you we have been developing the Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system which has the following new features and enhancements:

1. The base operating system and Kernel has been updated.

2. All the pre-configured applications have been updated to the latest release versions and or stable versions.

3. DSD playback now supports Native DSD with POP free PCM/DSD transitions.

4. New devices have been added that support Native DSD playback.

5. Spotify Connect has been added as a new output mode. This new output mode can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. The application can be installed and uninstalled from Software Manager.

6. A SongCast receiver has been added to the existing MPD/DLNA output mode. This new output mode accept streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application can be installed and uninstalled from the Software manager. The application is in Beta form.

7. This version also contains other bug fixes and enhancements.

Sonicorbiter 2.5 will be available soon pre-loaded on a microSD card. The microSD cards will be made available to existing customers for purchase for 20 USD. Emails with purchasing instructions will go out to customer in the coming weeks with a link to purchase the upgrade. If you are interested please let us know by emailing us at sonorejr@gmail.com. The microRendu will be shipping with Sonicorbiter 2.5 operating system. If you purchased a microRendu in the last 30 days we will provide a microSD card in the mail with Sonicorbiter 2.5 for free.
Charging their owners for the the very public and freely available Native DSD popping fix. I'm glad I bought an sMS-200 instead.

Brutal!
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(20-Apr-2017, 13:31)Dr Tone Wrote: Charging their owners for the the very public and freely available Native DSD popping fix.  I'm glad I bought an sMS-200 instead.

Brutal!

Indeed.  Although in fairness they are adding some new features, Spotify Connect &SongCast. 

I do find the concept of posting SD cards from the USA to mR owners in four corners of the world a little bizarre.  There has to be a better way of doing this surly?

I guess it does look a bit like a money making exercise though, although $20 for a few new features is not unreasonable, after all Sonore are not a charity.  This assumes the update is optional and units not updated will still receive basic support.  I have no idea if this assumption is correct or not, if units not updated will cease to be supported then this does just look like a cash generation exercise.  I am sure the good folk on CA will get all this clarified before long.

As for the sMS-200, I wonder if this has shaken Sonore up a bit?  Most reports put the sMS-200 ahead of the mR for sound quality, and it is cheaper too.  So one answer is to add more features to the mR, such as the afore mentioned Spotify Connect &SongCast.   Although charging $20 for an SD card in the post will not exactly enhance their reputation in the short term.

If Sonore are short of cash, maybe they could make a few dollars selling the Sonicorbiter software to Devialet for the new OS board, this might save everyone a lot of hassle! Confused