Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trigger cable lowers temperatures & power consumption
(29-Mar-2020, 16:37)deviousalet Wrote: I can understand how the trigger cable improves companion startup time, standby/sleep power consumption, and therefore temperature. By allowing better communication between amps via the trigger cable the companion can use less power waiting for information through the inferior interlink channel (RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR).

I don't fully understand how the trigger cable improves other aspects, but I can understand how the companion could enter a deeper sleep mode if it takes less power to wait for a signal from the trigger cable than interlink cable. The benefits go beyond low-power states though. Experimentation shows that the trigger cable lowers power consumption, and therefore temperature, while active. I've measured this many times on Devialet 400, 440, and now 1000. I'd enjoy figuring out why both master and companion use less power when active if triggered.

I started this thread to tell others that by simply connecting a cheap 3.5mm cable they can use less power for the same function. The lower temperature is simply easier to see than power consumption. Some people feel that lower temperature improves sound quality (thus the experimentation with orientation and even case mods). Others prefer the sound at higher temperature (thus wasting power by leaving their amps on when unused). I clearly have a bias, but only wanted to provide information.

Let's be clear that the trigger cable improves things in all states: on, standby, and sleep (Devialet's have no real off mode). If you doubt this, measure it. If my measurement techniques are in error I'm happy to have help improving them.

I'm glad to see even Devialet becoming clearer about the benefits of using the trigger cable. At this point it seems uncontroversial that using the trigger cable brings benefits.

I wish that Devialet would allow use of the trigger cable when using the RCA-XLR interconnect, but at least they've improved the sound of the RCA-RCA interconnect. When I experimented with my D400 the RCA-XLR connection clearly sounded better, but with my D1000 Pro CI and the latest firmware the opposite was true. Each system may be different that way, so it would be nice to get the benefits of triggered operation with either interconnection.

I'm very interested in everyone's experience about what differences the trigger cable makes. Thanks for reanimating this thread.
I use my 440 setup without a trigger cable. If I do a short press on the remote’s off button, the amps go into standby.  If I hold the off button down for a longer period, the display goes out and after a while, the amps go stone cold. Is this what you describe as sleep mode? I agree that the amp isn’t completely off as it can be woken from this state by Roon, but it can’t be using much energy. Do your measurements show how much power the amps are using in each mode? Can you describe the differences in sound quality when using RCA-XLR and RCA-RCA? 
TIA.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England

Messages In This Thread
Summary so far - by flohmann - 28-Mar-2020, 20:01
RE: Trigger cable lowers temperatures & power consumption - by Axel - 01-Apr-2020, 08:57