Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantom's Toslink is not ready for live musical instruments
(03-Jul-2016, 17:17)Geo Wrote: You appear to be right: via Bluetooth, there is actually the same lag. This time I've connected my iPad 2 to Phantom, with a software synthesizer app. Interesting though that Netflix works without any noticeable lag.

So basically what you are saying is that Devialet's engineer are unlikely to come up with a fix for this ?

If Neflix works with no lag the video is delayed somewhere too.

Unfortuntely no, the 'fix' for Phantom is actually to use delay to have the speaker appear as a point source. The best walk-through I've come across is this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQq6BX6jio

Without the time correction (i.e. only amplitude correction) Phantom would not sound as good as it does. It is possible to achieve close to zero lag with amplitude-only correction, but this sort of defeats the main purpose of the speaker; playback of pre recorded music.. Time domain correction is not the only delay in Phantom. As the speaker is a complete digital system there will also be buffering of the signal to lower jitter and such.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom's Toslink is not ready for live musical instruments - by ogs - 03-Jul-2016, 19:22