Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Devialet ever release new Expert features?
(22-Jun-2017, 19:02)petrik Wrote:
(22-Jun-2017, 18:23)Music or sound Wrote: I am all for speaker correction but room correction is a misnomer as one alters the speaker output and does not correct the room. The room has to be corrected by acoustical means so I hope Devialet continues to not implement room correction.

I hope that it's ok if I disagree on this part Shy In my opinion it would be great to have both, digital room and speaker correction so that one could enable/disable and tweak those features freely.

I have found digital room correction working extremely well for me. It requires a lot of tweaking to find a preferred target curve but it's all worth it - the results are so great. I could not even think about listening without digital room correction now. I have many acoustic panels and bass traps in my listening room but I only got minor improvements with those. I have a small room with many acoustic problems (like several -10 and -15db dips and then a massive +24db mode at 40hz). I got much better results by using digital room correction.

Therefore, I would hope Devialet to support both of these DSP features in the future.

Most acoustic panels are not effective below 400Hz and bass traps below 100 Hz (see data sheets). Newer products based on Helmholz resonators or  diaphragmatic sound absorbers are quite effective at low frequencies. Small rooms are more problematic and digital correction is a more feasible or cheaper but I have not heard any digital room correction that made the low frequencies sound correct as overtones are correlated to base frequencies and all are corrected differently. Also low frequencies are not uniform in the room so the correction is very limited in space (even if a spacial array of measurements is used).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will Devialet ever release new Expert features? - by Music or sound - 22-Jun-2017, 20:14